[comp.sys.mac] Darn Mouse CDEV won't remember settings!

pfluegerm@valley.UUCP (Mike Pflueger) (11/09/89)

In article <7848@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu
 (Blake Sobiloff) writes:
> OK, oh bright .netters out there--here's one I can't figure out for the life
> of
> me!  Since I got Ferrari Grand Prix I've been trying to change the tracking
> value in the Mouse CDEV because it is much easier to play the game when
> tracking is set to tablet speed.  But my CDEV won't remember the setting!

I had a similar problem a little while back, but it had nothing to do with
Ferrari GP.  After a lot of frustration, I tracked it down to SteppingOut II,
a cdev which allows you to emulate bigger screens on Macs with small screens.
I happened to have version 2.0.

Symptoms/How I tracked it:

When I used MacsBug to hack in the PRAM settings directly, they did get
saved and the Mouse cdev showed the current settings, but I still couldn't
change them via the cdev - also tried "Pointing Device" cdev, which also
did not work.  Of course I tried reinstalling all of the system files, to
no avail.

By the way, if this is a software problem, removing and replacing the battery
for 5-10 minutes won't help.  It may reset your PRAM, but you still won't
be able to change it via the cdev.

Finally confirmed a software problem by booting from the ORIGINAL system
floppy that came with my Mac Plus (System 3.2/Finder 5.3), and had no
problems.

That left cdevs & INITs.  After trying many (many) combinations of cdevs
and inits, it became obvious that it was ONLY SteppingOut II that was
causing the problem (did not seem to be an interaction between it and
another cdev or init).

You said you removed INITs, but not cdevs - they're just as bad (and contain
INITs) so try them too.  Boot from your original apple system disk & try
changing the mouse settings - I'll bet they work.

I now use a Happiware (?!) cdev called "init" v2.0 by John Rotenstein, PO
box 165, Double Bay, NSW 2028, Australia.  This is a cdev that allows you
to shut off other cdevs and inits.  I think there is one called "init
picker" that does the same thing.

--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm