[comp.sys.mac] Anyone using "Public Folder" across zones?

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (11/09/89)

There seems to be another "problem" with Public Folder.  Apparently, it
doesn't have much leeway for very slow network connections.  We had
public folder try to do a file transfer at 1200 baud via a netmodem.
Apprently from the person in our office who tried it, it timed
out with an error message.  Just thought you guys would like to know...

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (11/10/89)

In article <36322@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>There seems to be another "problem" with Public Folder.  Apparently, it
>doesn't have much leeway for very slow network connections.  We had
>public folder try to do a file transfer at 1200 baud via a netmodem.
>Apprently from the person in our office who tried it, it timed
>out with an error message.  Just thought you guys would like to know...

A little know feature of Public Folder is that by using ResEdit you
can "tune" the timeouts and retries that it uses to better handle a
really slow network (but 1200 baud???).

If you really want to do this you should fire up ResEdit, open up Public
Folder, and look at the "DATA" resources.  You'll see four of thems named
"LookupName RetryCount", "LookupName TimeOutVal", "ATPRetryCount", and
"ATPTimeOutVal".  The first two determine how long the initial name lookup
takes.  The last two are used for all subsequent ATP calls.

By default ATPTimeoutVal is set to 6 and ATPRetryCount is set to 10.
For a really slow network you might want to bump the timeout value up.

Keep in mind, though that if the other end is really gone (rebooted or
disconnected, say) you won't get an error message for that much longer.

Also, if you do modify a version of Public Folder, please don't distribute
it beyond your local users.  I wouldn't want someone to get a copy with
say, very short timeouts, then start complaining because it doesn't work
well.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce