[net.music] Kate Bush Live!

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/11/85)

Night Flight is showing "Kate Bush Live At The Hammersmith Odeon" on
Saturday night at 1:00 am (at least where I live).  This is 52 minutes
of excerpts from a concert she did on 13 May 79.  Thus, this contains
only her older material (from "The Kick Inside" and "Lionheart") which
isn't as good as her more recent stuff, but it is still excellent.
Don't miss it.

			"We're all alone on the stage tonight"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (10/18/85)

> Night Flight is showing "Kate Bush Live At The Hammersmith Odeon" on
> Saturday night at 1:00 am (at least where I live).  This is 52 minutes
> of excerpts from a concert she did on 13 May 79.  Thus, this contains
> only her older material (from "The Kick Inside" and "Lionheart") which
> isn't as good as her more recent stuff, but it is still excellent.
> Don't miss it.
>
> 			"We're all alone on the stage tonight"
>
> 			 Doug Alan
> 			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

Well, I watched this program with a pretty open mind in an attempt to
appreciate Bushmania.  What I saw makes me still wonder why this
condition exists.  I'm not implying she was bad or anything (I actually
found most of the performence pleasent) but I really didn't see anything
I hadn't seen before.  I have the honor :-) of being one of the elders
of this group (being old enough to actually have driven to Woodstock!)
and have seen probably a lot more water flow under the R&R bridge than
most here.  But Ms. Bush appears to be nothing more than an electronically
refined combination of several 60s individuals/groups (e.g. Marianne
Faithful, Vanilla Fudge, etc.).  Again, let me emphasis that this is in
no way a criticism of her talent or ability.  I just fail to see what
makes the Bushites think she is so wonderful.

BTW, before I get flamed for not being able to appreciate "New Music",
I challenge you to find an "Old Fart" that has the titles in his record
collection that I have in mine!

"Enola Gay, you should have stayed at home yesterday."

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/20/85)

> From: rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone)

> Well, I watched this program with a pretty open mind in an attempt to
> appreciate Bushmania.  What I saw makes me still wonder why this
> condition exists.

Well I'm a Kate Bush fanatic, but I'm not particularly fanatic about her
early stuff (which is what you saw), so perhaps I'm not the best person
to ask, but I do think nearly everything she has done is excellent.  Her
early material bears little resemblance to her more recent material.  If
you want to hear what I'm fanatic about, listen to "The Dreaming".  You
probably won't believe it's the same person.

> I'm not implying she was bad or anything (I actually found most of the
> performence pleasent) but I really didn't see anything I hadn't seen
> before.

Well I find it hard to believe that you've seen anything similar
visually, since that aspect is quite unique.  Musically, I don't know if
anyone would say she was pushing any new boundaries at that time.  The
first time I heard her early material, I was very disappointed because
it just didn't compare to "The Dreaming" and I thought that it seemed
pretty ordinary -- just sung with a very unordinary voice.  Her music is
the kind of stuff that doesn't really set in until multiple listenings,
though, and after a while it became very apparent that her music was
extremely powerful and original.  And no one else can sing like KB.

Still, I'd throw away my entire record collection (including KB's early
albums) rather than throw away "The Dreaming".  (I hope they'll let me
keep "Hounds of Love" too....)

			"Moving stranger, does it really matter
			 As long as you're not afraid to feel"