[comp.sys.mac] Red Ryder Kermit transfers

MATH1H3@jane.uh.edu (David H. Wagner) (11/10/89)

In article <16623@netnews.upenn.edu>, meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) writes:
> I am having difficulty downloading non-text files to my home
> computer.  In particular, I would like to download some gif
> images from Voyager for possible publication in our school
> engineering magazine (they should be public domain, etc.)
>
> Problem: Red Ryder 10.3 won't receive kermit binary files.
>    From the remote system I set filetype to binary and issue
>    a send command.  When I receive with Red Ryder, the file
>    is always received as text.
>
> System and Settings:  Mac II, Red Ryder 10.3 (I have the manual,
>    but haven't had any luck), 9600 baud hardwire (Ethernet?)
>    connection.  Settings in Red Ryder are 9600 baud, Even parity,
>    7 data bits, 1 stop bit, Full Duplex.  These are determined
>    by the system I log into and can not be changed.
>
> I have ftp'ed files to my mainframe account.  They seem to be o.k.
> then, but when I send them home with kermit, the troubles begin.
> I have tried kermit on RR with recognize MacBinary on and off,
> but this doesn't seem to help.  I theorize that the files are binary,
> but not MacBinary, so RR defaults to text.
> ANY COMMENTS OR HELP???
> How do you download gif images, in particular with the above settings?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Get the kermit program from ? cunix.columbia.edu?  If you get the right address
you can get the binhexed binary  for kermit on an anonymous ftp.  The problem
seems to be that Red Ryder's kermit transfer doesn't know about data fork vs.
resource fork for non-MacBinary binary files.  Kermit does, and it works.

David H. Wagner