[comp.sys.mac] ATM & Postscript fonts 1 & 3

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (11/10/89)

In article <16416@netnews.upenn.edu> binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Tim Binder) writes:
>I just picked up ATM & like it more or less, but it brings a question to mind.
>What is the difference between between font type 1 & font type 3? Is there
>anyway to convert fonts from one to the other?

Type 1 formatted fonts are usually in an excryted and compressed binary
format. They have hinting information for the characters, and the rest of the
features will be documented publically soon. Type 3 fonts can contain nearly
any PostScript drawing commands - and are much more complex to render. ATM
only deals with Type 1 fonts. Type 3 fonts would have required running
a version of Display PostScript (not exactly, but close to it :-).

There are some utilities to go from Type 1 to Type 3, and after Type 1 is
published, I'd assume you'll see the reverse (with some limitations on quality
w/o hand tuning the hints).

--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my