[comp.sys.mac] testing test1

icsu8165@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Wood) (11/10/89)

Since system 7 is coming out in 1990, I would like to prepare for this
event now.  My question is, how much slower will virtual memory be?
Should I go out and buy a fast hard drive, or is 28ms ok?  Has anyone
experienced a bad slowdown using the virtual init?  Any thoughts and/or
ideas are welcome.  Thanks.

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (11/10/89)

In article <2469@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu8165@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Wood) writes:
>Since system 7 is coming out in 1990, I would like to prepare for this
>event now.  My question is, how much slower will virtual memory be?
>Should I go out and buy a fast hard drive, or is 28ms ok?  Has anyone
>experienced a bad slowdown using the virtual init?  Any thoughts and/or
>ideas are welcome.  Thanks.

Better yet, save up your money for a machine with an ultra-fast hard
disk and DMA on the SCSI bus.

For most people using current applications, and more than 2 megs of
RAM, it isn't likely that virtual memory will mean that much, unless
of course they like running a dozen open applications in MultiFinder.
In other words, for most word processing, database, telecom, etc.,
most of the application heap will be run in RAM rather than from
a virtual memory space on disk.  Of course, for humongous spreadsheets,
complex Mathematica operations, and 24-bit color scans, virtual memory
will be a boon.

All good things come to those who wait...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |