[comp.sys.mac] BlackOut, Public Folder, and Responder

jamii@xochitl.UUCP (Jamii K. Corley) (11/11/89)

  I having an odd problem with the screen saver BlackOut
 in connection with either Responder or Public Folder.
 If BlackOut is in the system folder and either responder
 or Public Folder is also, My Mac hangs on booting. I've
 taken all other inits out of the system folder. I have a
 Mac Plus with 2.5 megs of memory and a Jasmine 100 Direct
 drive. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I really like
 the BlackOut screen saver, but Public Folder is too valuable
 to not have. [ My thanks to Claris ]

                    Jai

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (11/11/89)

In article <224@xochitl.UUCP> jamii@xochitl.UUCP (Jamii K. Corley) writes:

>  I having an odd problem with the screen saver BlackOut
> in connection with either Responder or Public Folder.
> If BlackOut is in the system folder and either responder
> or Public Folder is also, My Mac hangs on booting. I've
> taken all other inits out of the system folder. I have a
> Mac Plus with 2.5 megs of memory and a Jasmine 100 Direct
> drive. Has anyone else seen this behavior? I really like
> the BlackOut screen saver, but Public Folder is too valuable
> to not have. [ My thanks to Claris ]
>
>                    Jai

One thing to check is the 'sysz' resource in these INIT's.  The sysz resource
tells the system how much system heap the INIT expects to consume.  If INIT's
use up too much system heap without telling the system, bad things can happen.

I just checked my copy of Responder and it has one of these resources.  As does
Public Folder.  I don't have BlackOut, but if it's fairly old there a good
chance it doesn't have one.

ASIDE: if you are writing a INIT/CDEV/RDEV please put in a sysz resource!

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce