[comp.sys.mac] Downloading compressed/coded binaries

romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Goebel) (11/11/89)

Files listed with an "hqx" extension in the info-mac subdirectory of
the sumex-aim ftp server (IP # 36.44.0.6) are both compressed and
coded from binary to hexidecimal.

'ftp' the desired file to your mainframe account in text mode.
Download the file to your Mac, also in text mode.  You'll then need a
program to decompress the file and translate it back to binary.  A
program called StuffIt does the job well.  It will also glue together
separate pieces of files that had to be transferred individually due to
whatever capacity contraints exist on your system.

You'll notice that stuffit.hqx is a file in the util subdirectory of
the info-mac directory...Think again, it's a Catch-22!

I picked up a copy of StuffIt from one of the local campus Mac
clusters (at Stanford).  It is shareware and the author of the program
would be grateful if you sent him a cheque for $20 (an address is
included in the documentation).  IMHO I think sending him the cheque
is only fair.  I sure as hell couldn't write the program.  Also, with
your address in his files, he'll keep you posted re updates.

Thanks to all those netlanders who helped ME get all of this straight!

--patrick: romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU

vossron@Apple.COM (Ronald N. Voss) (11/11/89)

romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Goebel) writes:

>You'll notice that stuffit.hqx is a file in the util subdirectory of
>the info-mac directory...Think again, it's a Catch-22!

Not necessarily.  It's the best way to get an update of this outstanding
program.  The first time does pose a problem.  I feel really silly when
I almost send a Stuffed/Hexed copy of StuffIt to some needy soul.

Ron Voss