[comp.sys.mac] Mac IIci and third party hard drives...

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/09/89)

We finally got a Mac IIci and I must say that it is an impressive machine, but
I have one complaint...

Who the hell changed the internal hard drive connector from the standard 4 pin
mate 'n lock AMP to whatever that thing is that's currently in the Mac IIci?

Now for the problem at hand and the point to my article...

Who the hell makes this off the wall connector and what is the part number?  I
looked through the AMP and Molex catalogs, there is no such beast unless it's
a very new connector.

We bought a Mac IIci for a file server in our TOPS network and I want to put a
Quantum 105 in it, but I can't very well mount the damn thing internally until
I have the correct power cable for it.  I just assume make the bloody thing
myself.

My supervisor and I both agreed not to buy the IIci with a hard drive already
in it because of the Quantum 40 and 80 manufacturing flaw, so we put in an
order for a Quantum 105 which doesn't seem to give any problems (at least it
doesn't in our SPARCstation 1).

Now the moral to this article...and I hope a system engineer from Apple is
reading this...

There's a difference between 'dare to be different' and 'dare to be stupid'...

Note that I believe that my flaming is justified since I spent more or less
all damn day trying to find out who the hell manufactures that damn connector
with no luck.  Needless to say that by the end of the day, one could probably
use my gastrointestinal juices for battery acid.  It was too late in the day
to call Apple directly which is what I'm about to do to file a verbal
complaint, find out the connector information, and then go into MS Word and
print up a written complaint and mail it to Apple.

I think Apple is just conspiring to give me an ulcer which I must say that
they are doing a damn good job.

Knowing Apple, they probably won't tell me the connector without me beating it
out of them first with ethernet cable, so if anybody knows who makes this
oddity of a power connector and the part number, I'd be most appreciative
since you'll be preserving what stomach lining I have left.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (11/10/89)

>Who the hell makes this off the wall connector and what is the part number?  I
>looked through the AMP and Molex catalogs, there is no such beast unless it's
>a very new connector.

I had a similar problem with the SE analog-to-motherboard connectors. I wanted
to run with the motherboard outside so i could debug an expansion card i'm
working on.. I coudn't find it anywhere, but it wasn't that hard to get one
after all, I just went down to the local dealer and ordered a replacement
cable and cut it in half. I'm sure you could do the same for the drive cable.
    :-)  cheer up, you could be using DOS, don't forget :-)

--
 Mike Schechter, Institute for Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: isr@rodan.syr.edu  msschech@rodan.syr.edu  Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (11/11/89)

In article <676@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>We finally got a Mac IIci and I must say that it is an impressive machine, but
>I have one complaint...
>
>Who the hell changed the internal hard drive connector from the standard 4 pin
>mate 'n lock AMP to whatever that thing is that's currently in the Mac IIci?
>
>Now for the problem at hand and the point to my article...
>
>Who the hell makes this off the wall connector and what is the part number?  I
>looked through the AMP and Molex catalogs, there is no such beast unless it's
>a very new connector.

The connector is Molex part number 39-01-2040.  The crimp pins are number
39-00-0039.  Call Molex at (408) 946-4700.

(why?  Dunno.  Maybe we got a bunch of free samples?  :-<  Not funny, I know.)

-Dave

  Dave (Gimme more MHz) Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-Y  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/11/89)

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) writes:
>>Who the hell makes this off the wall connector and what is the part number?  I
>>looked through the AMP and Molex catalogs, there is no such beast unless it's
>>a very new connector.
>
>I had a similar problem with the SE analog-to-motherboard connectors. I wanted
>to run with the motherboard outside so i could debug an expansion card i'm
>working on.. I coudn't find it anywhere, but it wasn't that hard to get one
>after all, I just went down to the local dealer and ordered a replacement
>cable and cut it in half. I'm sure you could do the same for the drive cable.
>    :-)  cheer up, you could be using DOS, don't forget :-)

The problem is that Apple wants $10 for the cable, and I called various Molex
distributors (a kind soul sent me the part numbers in e-mail), and the cost of
making the cable ourselves in-house is about a buck.  Sorry Apple, but my
supervisor and I don't like being reamed for a 900% mark up on a cable.  If
the power cable was $3 to $4, we'd buy them pre-made in bulk like we do with
our SCSI internal hard drive cables.

As for finding the parts, it was an adventure in gastrointestinal juices
itself.  Only one Molex distributor in southern California had the plug in
stock, but every one of them had the contacts.  Nice job Apple.  I just know
this was planned by some ingenious soul in marketing.  My peeve there is with
Apple marketing, not system engineering in that respect.

As for DOS, I'd prefer it inspite of my peeves against its design.
Incidentally, I was given my position because of my knowledge of Unix, not
Macs, but yet I ended up being a support technician for both the Sun
Workstation division and Macintosh division of the company.  Wasn't my idea to
begin with, but such is life.

Pass the Pepto Bismal...I get the feeling the worst Apple can do is yet to
come.

Bill Gates, help me!  All is forgiven!

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *         Apple Computer, Inc. is really the Anti-Christ!
  *
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (11/11/89)

In article <36381@apple.Apple.COM> dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:
>In article <676@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>We finally got a Mac IIci and I must say that it is an impressive machine, but
>>I have one complaint...
>>
>>Who the hell changed the internal hard drive connector from the standard 4 pin
>>mate 'n lock AMP to whatever that thing is that's currently in the Mac IIci?
>>
>>Now for the problem at hand and the point to my article...
>>
>>Who the hell makes this off the wall connector and what is the part number?  I
>>looked through the AMP and Molex catalogs, there is no such beast unless it's
>>a very new connector.
>
>The connector is Molex part number 39-01-2040.  The crimp pins are number
>39-00-0039.  Call Molex at (408) 946-4700.
>
>(why?  Dunno.  Maybe we got a bunch of free samples?  :-<  Not funny, I know.)
>
>-Dave
>
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>  Dave (Gimme more MHz) Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-Y  (408) 974-5515
>          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
> These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, I didn't know that, and couldn't wait for Molex anyway, since I was
delivering my cx to its happy new owner that evening, and I couldn't afford
to be down for a few days, so I went to my friendly local apple dealer
(no smiley here, he and I get along great, he does good repair work, and
has always treated me well, even though I dont buyu product from him, just
service) and plopped down $15 (definitely no smiley there) for a lousy
power cable.   After cutting it in half and soldering it to the other end of
my old cable (which has a right-angle version of the old connector due to
the lack of space induced by mounting a 5 1/4 inch drive in a cx/ci) it
now works great.

Anyway, all I can say is that Apple usually has a reason when they do something
annoying like this.  Im not sure what it is this time.  I can say that the
new part is more compact and, because it has a latch/lock is easier to insert
and detatch than the old friction based AMP connector.  Im just not sure its
enough better to justify the change.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/12/89)

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) writes:

>The connector is Molex part number 39-01-2040.  The crimp pins are number
>39-00-0039.  Call Molex at (408) 946-4700.
>
>(why?  Dunno.  Maybe we got a bunch of free samples?  :-<  Not funny, I know.)

I was waiting for somebody from Apple to come out and say the part numbers.
Everybody else just tells me the number of the pre-made cable.  No matter, I
already have my purchase order placed with a Molex distributor.  And I will
tell you, they were NOT easy to find.  Only one Molex distributor in southern
CA had them in stock and they are coming from Boston.  If one can't get them
from a major Molex distributor easily, then one certainly won't find them in
an electronics component store.

Maybe I ought to sell these cables at $3 a pop, could probably make a killing
from them.