[comp.sys.mac] PublicFolder1.0

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/10/89)

In article <4096@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> If there are other PF's on the net, you only see them and can't see your own.

	Um, I guess I didn't have my brain fully engaged.  I could have
sworn that was what happend, but now I can't seem to reproduce it.  When I
run PF now, I see my own along with the others.  Oh well.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (11/11/89)

In article <4106@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>In article <4096@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>> If there are other PF's on the net, you only see them and can't see your own.
>
>	Um, I guess I didn't have my brain fully engaged.  I could have
>sworn that was what happend, but now I can't seem to reproduce it.  When I
>run PF now, I see my own along with the others.  Oh well.

There's an explanation for why this happens some of the time but not all
of the time.  AppleTalk has a "selfsend" flag that permits nodes to send
themselves messages.  This is a global flag that affects all applications
running at the node.  Public Folder turns this flag on so that you can
see yourself in the Chooser and fetch your own files.  Other AppleTalk
applications, however, might turn the flag off, because they may not be
prepared to talk to themselves.  So it all depends on who set the flag last.

John Norstad       Northwestern University      jln@acns.nwu.edu

vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (11/11/89)

In article <4106@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>In article <4096@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>> If there are other PF's on the net, you only see them and can't see your own.
>
>	Um, I guess I didn't have my brain fully engaged.  I could have
>sworn that was what happend, but now I can't seem to reproduce it.  When I
>run PF now, I see my own along with the others.  Oh well.

Your correction is correct.  PF turns on Self-Send, which is an AppleTalk
flag that allows packets to be directed to yourself.  In this case, it
allows NBP lookup packets to be answered by yourself.  This will be
unaffected by other people on the net.

It would be like you owning a car, and asking "Who here owns a car?".
You would answer if Self-Send (or Self-Listen) is on, but not if it is
off.  You'll notice that ALL software on the specific computer is affected.
Ex:  You can now broadcast to yourself, I can use Tops to mount a volume
that I have published (so I have the original disk, and a mounted one),
etc.

Note that SelfSend has been only recently introduced into AppleTalk, and
some Mac models may not use the appropriate drivers for this flag to
make any effect.  Inside Mac V: AppleTalk describes the Control call to
turn SelfSend on and off.  Older AppleTalk versions will ignore it.

>--
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
>{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
>"The connector is the network"

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/12/89)

	First, I said that if you only had one PF running, you could see
yourself, but if you had multiple PF's running, you couldn't.  Then, various
people said that didn't make sense,  Then I recanted, admitting that I
couldn't reproduce my results.  Then:

In <3902@sbcs.sunysb.edu> vallon@sblw.UUCP (Justin Vallon) writes:
> Your correction is correct.  PF turns on Self-Send, which is an AppleTalk
> flag that allows packets to be directed to yourself. [...]  Note that
> SelfSend has been only recently introduced into AppleTalk, and some Mac
> models may not use the appropriate drivers for this flag to make any effect.

	Aha!  That explains it.  The full order of events was as follows.  I
installed PF on my own II-cx and could see myself.  Next, I installed it on a
friend's Plus.  I could see the PF running on my II-cx downstairs, but no
"myself" on the Plus.  It was at this point that I jumped to the conclusion
stated above and posted my original article.  Just further proof that it's bad
scientific form to try and form a conclusion from just 2 data points.  When I
said I couldn't reproduce it, I had just finished installing PF on two other
II-cx machines, which could see themselves (as well as the Plus), causing me
to doubt my original observation.