[comp.sys.mac] Fresh Start

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (11/10/89)

In article <1309@ecs.soton.ac.uk> adr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tony Roberts) writes:

>Mine is that Broadcast 1.2 seems not to work properly from within the
>Chooser files folder; specifically the ANSWER button gets greyed out
>or does nothing anyway. I tried dragging it out of there, and tried
>stopping Freshstart from sorting it into there (both at variance with
>the purpose of freshstart anyway), but no - it wouldn't work, leaving
>me with the question of which I find most useful - Broadcast or
>Freshstart. Well ......

Tony -
  Thanks for the report. I'll try to get Broadcast and look into the matter.

  (By the way, which did you choose?? :-))

Bob

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	I am the author of FreshStart

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) (11/11/89)

In article <1530@accuvax.nwu.edu> bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) writes:
>In article <6963@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>>From article <6275@merlin.usc.edu>, by danking@aludra.usc.edu (Dan King):
>>
>>My problem is that hierDA won't give me the CDEV's when they are in the
>>sub folder.  Neat idea, good implementation, but I use hierDA too much.
>>If he fixes the problems he can count on my registration.
>>Jim
>
>Jim -
>
>  There isn't a problem with HierDA, in the current version. (I'm using
>0.9979, myself). Check your copy of HierDA, and let me know if you're
>having a problem with a modern version.
>  Sorry for the long time to a reply, by the way; my machine's been down
>lately...

Does anyone know exactly which INITs/cdevs are KNOWN to have problems with
Fresh Start?  I have tried various combinations of the 30+ INITs/cdevs that
I use, and I manage to bomb the machine most of the time.  Without Fresh
Start however, I never seem to have that problem.

It seems like a great idea.  However, I use way too many of those INITs/cdevs
that "abuse the Mac in strange and wonderful ways" to really consider using
Fresh Start the way it is now.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Corp.
Engineering & Manufacturing
West Columbia, SC  29169

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/13/89)

As quoted from <1562@accuvax.nwu.edu> by bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel):
+---------------
| In article <1309@ecs.soton.ac.uk> adr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tony Roberts) writes:
| >Mine is that Broadcast 1.2 seems not to work properly from within the
| >Chooser files folder; specifically the ANSWER button gets greyed out
| >or does nothing anyway. I tried dragging it out of there, and tried
|
|   Thanks for the report. I'll try to get Broadcast and look into the matter.
+---------------

Two notes, neither of which is really a "bug":

1.  If an application resides on a hard disk / partition other than that which
holds the blessed folder, Fresh Start can't be configured to redirect the
application.  This is NOT a bug in Fresh Start; the Mac hasn't mounted any
other hard disks at the time Fresh Start is invoked.  But for those of us who
have two disk partitions, one for system information (INITs, fonts, DAs, etc.)
and the other for applications, Fresh Start can't do one of its jobs.

2.  ATM still looks for outline fonts in the blessed folder even after being
moved.  This is only a problem if you don't have Suitcase II or MasterJuggler,
both of which will allow ATM to look in any folder containing open font
suitcases.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)