[comp.sys.mac] Quantum ROM "FIX" benchmark!

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (11/12/89)

 The info in the following graph was generated by "SCSI Evaluator 1.01" and
clearly shows the amount of performance degradation that takes place when
my 80 Meg Quantum with the new ROMS is doing it's "exercise routines".
 The normal data was taken when the drive was acting normally, and the degraded
data was generated while the new ROM routines were taking place. Remember that
these exercise routines occur at random times, and can sometimes go for a
long time. NICE "FIX", HUH!!!

	View the following graph using Monaco 9 point......

20000      |#######
           |        #                        # = NORMAL PERFORMANCE
18000      |          #                      * = DEGRADED PERFORMANCE
           |          #
16000      |          #                 VERTICAL SCALE = KBITS/SEC
           |          #
14000      |           #                HORIZ. SCALE = TRANSFER SIZE (K)
           |           #
12000      |            #
           |            #
10000      |             #
           |              #
 8000      |               ##############################

 6000      |

 4000      |

 2000      |   ******************************************
           |***
           |____________________________________________________
           10   15   20   25   30   35   40   45   50   55   60

 Hope we can get a REAL fix from Apple and Quantum soon!

	Peter Espen
	(espen@well)

vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Justin Vallon) (11/13/89)

In article <14527@well.UUCP> espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) writes:

> The info in the following graph was generated by "SCSI Evaluator 1.01" and
>clearly shows the amount of performance degradation that takes place when
>my 80 Meg Quantum with the new ROMS is doing it's "exercise routines".
> The normal data was taken when the drive was acting normally, and the degraded
>data was generated while the new ROM routines were taking place. Remember that
>these exercise routines occur at random times, and can sometimes go for a
>long time. NICE "FIX", HUH!!!
>

>	View the following graph using Monaco 9 point......

[ Graph that shows normal & degraded performance.  The normal performance ]
[ starts at 20Mbits/sec, and slopes from 20M to 8M from 20Kbytes to 8K ]
[ and 8M from 25- ]

I'm curious.  I am not doubting that this graph is correct, but I have
a question.  I thought that the SCSI chip maximum data transfer rate was
about 1.4 Mb(ytes)/sec.  That's about 11-12 Mbits/sec.  How do you get
20Mbits/sec transfer?  I have a Mac II.  Do the IIx/cx/ci's have faster
SCSI chips?

Just wondering...

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu