[comp.sys.mac] Digital Maintenance

anthony@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Owen G. Anthony) (11/11/89)

mithomas@bsu-cs writes:
#From: mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus)
#Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
#Subject: Sorry for delays...
#Date: 11 Oct 89 22:37:10 GMT
#
#For those of you who have sent me messages/requests in the last week or so,
#I apologize for not replying.  It seems as though our Unix system has
#developed an illness that causes it to "faint" quite often.  The doctors
#from DEC are coming to take a look at it.
#
#
#It seems that there is another side effect -- incurable "hiccups."  This
#machine sends so many Control-S's to my Mac that everything locks up
#(actually, just beeps until I get sick of it and kill the connection).
#
#So, hopefully DEC will bring the right vaccine and we will be back in
#business this weekend.  (But don't count on it.)
#
#-Michael
#
#p.s.  This system has got to be the biggest piece of junk...
#--
#Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
#Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
#Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com

I would like to take a moment to correct a few of the misconceptions caused
by this posting:

   1.   The problems experienced on the Computer Science Department's Unix
        VAX-11/785 were NOT the fault of Digital Equipment Corporation or
        any of Digital Equipment Corporation's representitives.  I feel that
        DEC has received much undeserved critsism here.

   2.	The main problems with the system were due to a change over in
        system administrators and software.  These problems are now mostly
        solved.

   3.   We have always obtained excellent hardware service from Digital.

   4.   The statements made by Mr. Niehaus do not represent those of Ball
        State University or those who work with Digital on a day to day
        basis.

Owen G. Anthony                                   anthony@bsu-cs.uucp
VAX Systems Programmer                            SYSTEM@BSUVAX1.BITNET
Ball State University                             00OGANTHONY,@BSUVAX1.BITNET
Muncie, IN   47306
(317) 285-1392

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (11/11/89)

As a follow-up to a follow-up, I wish to clarify the points made in my
original posting.  I was not and have never criticized Digital Equipment
Corportation.  I truly believe that they make excellent equipment and do
everything necessary to maintain that reputation.

My criticisms were directed toward the Computer Science department for
letting things get as bad as they did.  Computer systems, as Mr. Anthony
can attest to, need routine maintenance and checks.  These checks would
probably have prevented many of the problems that have occurred.

From what I have been told, DEC has been extremely helpful and cooperative.
Considering that the VAX is not running a DEC operating system, this fact is
even a more remarkable statement.

I apologize for any misinterpretations that may have arisen.
If you don't agree with or have any comments about something that I say, please
address comments to me directly.

Sorry for this being on comp.sys.mac.

-Michael

--

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (11/14/89)

In article <10274@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I apologize for any misinterpretations that may have arisen.
>If you don't agree with or have any comments about something that I
>say, please address comments to me directly.
>-Michael
>Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
>Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
>Ball State University  AppleLink: ST0374 (from UUCP: st0374@applelink.apple.com)

Well, hmm... lemme see now...  Mike's an Apple Students Rep, and
Apple's in bed with DEC, and Mike sends a message kinda criticising a
DEC machine, and someone (apparently above Mike) at the school starts
spewing how DEC is really great, and then Mike sends a further message
saying how he really loves DEC and how it's really not DEC's fault.

Sure Mike, I understand;  Lessee, you've got lotsa accounts to
consider here... and being an Apple Student Rep must be nice...
AppleLink and all...

Personally I'm kinda insulted by the fuss.  I figure the machine
probably is subject to the usual DEC Field Circus (overpriced, "I have
to go get a part") syndrome, and you're just getting pissed on because
of your position as Apple Rep.  And what with Apple's gestapo-like
tactics to keep everybody smiling and fire Ramseys and claim to be the
computer for the rest of us and then build 3000-4000-5000+ dollar
machines while I can hardly keep up my Mac Pluses in enough memory to
run Multifinder...

Well, sounds like maybe you're doing this under some pressure.

So, how about sending another message saying that you really just Love
DEC and Apple, and you were in a drug induced haze when you said those
nasty things about Apple's good pal DEC.  And how Ball State really
does need the Student Discount Program, and how you can't believe I
wrote this...

Ain't the First Ammendment a great idea?
[Just one person's opinion, dontcha know...]

--
Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop,  "Specializing in Macintosh Training"
126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 491-6935