[comp.sys.mac] Is the Mac II really dead?

icsu8165@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Wood) (11/12/89)

Lately I have noticed where people treat the original Mac II as a dead
machine.  Is this really valid?  Just because apple does not produce it
anymore, does not at all effect it's usefullness.  I can remember when
the II first came out, people were saying "Man, what will I do with all
this power?".  So apple comes out with a quicker machine and now every-
one treats the II as long gone.  Consider the improvements of the cx and
x.  Granted these new machines are a bit faster, modular ( cx ), etc. but
is this enough to go out and buy one if you already own the good old II?
Granted, I am an owner of a II, but I am also one who needs a lot of power
as I am interested in animation.  I will be upgrading in the future of
course, but does the II deserve all the bad press?  There are people out
there using the old apple II's.  I think before we all go writing this
machine off, we should first consider it's usefullness and put it where
it will be used.
--
Subject: Chips and drives
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (11/14/89)

I own a mac II, and don't see it as a "dead" machine.  I think some
people dumped their Mac II system units to get IIcx units.  I think
some of those people took a bath and might be unhappy.

For the word processing I do, it's not visibly slower.  The only speed
difference is in crystal quest (which is easier 8-) ).

The Mac II has no 68851, but no upgrades are necessary to run vaporware!
(system 7.0)

The Mac II has no 1.4Mb floppy, but for $400 I can live with a few
extra disk swaps during backups.  The 1.4Mb drive seems to write just
as slowly as an 800K drive (an engineering mistake, in my opinion).

My machine also has a nice, burned-in 80Mb 5" Quantum disk, with
time-tested grease inside.

After 1 year, I tapped the video cable to feed power to my modem.
Some day, I'll get a quieter fan.  These improvements are only
possible with an expired warranty 8-).  It's nice not to be on the
"bleeding edge" of technology (Apple users seem to bleed more than
most).

graefe@tramp.Colorado.EDU (GRAEFE WILLIAM S) (11/14/89)

In article <126900101@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
=I own a mac II, and don't see it as a "dead" machine.  I think some

I agree. Mine still does everything I want it to do.

=Some day, I'll get a quieter fan.  These improvements are only

A cheap way I found to quiet the obnoxious fan was to buy ($20) a Mac II
stand from Kensiongton. Now my machine stands vertially next to my desk
and I can't hear the fan (the carpet below helps, too- fortunately, the fan
blows onto the carpet, instead of sucking in dust.)

!---------graefe@tramp.Colorado.EDU----graefe@tramp.UUCP---!   ,---.     !
! Bill       |	"It's nice to be nice to the nice."	\  !   | _   _   !
! Graefe, Jr.|	- Frank Burns on M*A*S*H	        /\ !   `-+-' |   !
!---------{sunybcs, ncar, nbires}!boulder!tramp!graefe-----!     `---'   !