[comp.sys.mac] Init that directs files to apps

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (11/06/89)

I recently bought MacWrite II and would like to have my MacWrite 5.0 files
startup with MacWrite II when I launch them.  I thought I read recently
about an init that would do this.  Could someone please tell me the name
of this init?

Thanks,

-rsvp

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (11/10/89)

In article <16521@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:
>I recently bought MacWrite II and would like to have my MacWrite 5.0 files
>startup with MacWrite II when I launch them.  I thought I read recently
>about an init that would do this.  Could someone please tell me the name
>of this init?

I had the same problem for quite a while until a friend of mine got me a copy
of "Imposters" from off of compuserve. They solve the problem almost perfectly.
I say almost because you need ResEdit to set them up (you have to modify the
STR resources to tell them the name and whereabouts of the application that you
want started) but it is fairly easy to do. Imposters is a stuffit file that
contains several "Imposter" applications already set up (eg. word, macwrite,
nisus, macdraw, etc.).

They are very small (<3kbytes I think) and best of all, they are FREE!
(Wellll.. I did need to pay for my friend's connect time!)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/11/89)

As quoted from <1529@accuvax.nwu.edu> by bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel):
+---------------
| In article <16521@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:
| >I recently bought MacWrite II and would like to have my MacWrite 5.0 files
| >startup with MacWrite II when I launch them.  I thought I read recently
| >about an init that would do this.  Could someone please tell me the name
| >of this init?
|
| The INIT you're thinking of is HandOff (recently named one of MacUsers 200
+---------------

Actually, no.  I remember mention of an INIT which *specifically* arranged for
MacWrite II to open Macwrite 5.0 documents; it did not handle other mappings,
as HandOff does.  I'll check various places for it.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (11/14/89)

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:

>I recently bought MacWrite II and would like to have my MacWrite 5.0
>files startup with MacWrite II when I launch them.  I thought I read
>recently about an init that would do this.  Could someone please tell
>me the name of this init?

The INIT is called HandOff.

Send mail to F.HOLLANDER@applelink.apple.com; he's the author.

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
NetWorkShop Coord.                         or
MacUser          ...{apple|uunet|sun}!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

The MacUser NetWorkShop - home of the LocalTalk backbone

Any opinions expressed above are mine.