[comp.sys.mac] Apple & Steve Wozniak

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (11/15/89)

Here is a something a friend told me is in the planning stages, and I just
wanted to know if anyone can confirm this, or if anyone has any thoughts
about it:

I heard that Apple Computer may make a spin-off company (much like spin-off
Claris) that will head up the Apple ][ line, or what's left of it. AND, this
company would be headed by Steve Wozniak.

Personally, i think this would be great. Apple would be able to concentrate
solely on the Macintosh, and not have to worry about just where the Apple
][ line fits into their scheme.

And on the flip coin, the many devoted Apple ][ users (i used to be one)
would finally have a company that would attend to THEIR needs, and perhaps
bring a bit of respectibility back the Apple ][ line with Wozniak.

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (11/15/89)

In article <5608@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) writes:
>Here is a something a friend told me is in the planning stages, and I just
>wanted to know if anyone can confirm this, or if anyone has any thoughts
>about it:
>
>I heard that Apple Computer may make a spin-off company (much like spin-off
>Claris) that will head up the Apple ][ line, or what's left of it. AND, this
>company would be headed by Steve Wozniak.

This is being discussed on comp.sys.apple and America Online...probably other
services too.  Steve Wozniak is teaching elementary school science in
California, and is quite unlikely to volunteer to lead a 1 Billion Buck
spinoff company...he's enjoying himself too much, according to one feller on
AO whos wife asked the Woz directly.

>Personally, i think this would be great. Apple would be able to concentrate
>solely on the Macintosh, and not have to worry about just where the Apple
>][ line fits into their scheme.

This would be good.  The Apple II could have its artificially high price
lowered to something the masses can afford, and possibly leapfrog the Mac in
terms of price/performance.  There are many who feel that the Apple II has
been crippled in favor of the Macintosh.  The Apple II still represents that
open-guts kind of environment, while the Mac is more application.  I'd like to
see the II stay that way while becoming more powerful.  The OS is finally
settling (if they would just stop adding new features to it! :), the
development tools are getting there...all we need is a good C compiler.

>And on the flip coin, the many devoted Apple ][ users (i used to be one)
>would finally have a company that would attend to THEIR needs, and perhaps
>bring a bit of respectibility back the Apple ][ line with Wozniak.

Yay!  At least, the Apple II division should have its own marketing and R&D
budgets...the Mac tends to take away from II promotion in all advertising
gambits so far.  All Apple needs is some intelligent engineers to fix the
I/O bandwidth limitations while keeping Apple II compatibility...the IIGS is a
real cop-out with respect to graphics architecture.
--
Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |   User Friendly Killing Machines   |   America Online: AFC DaveS
   "MY GOD! I HAVE POCKETS!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I HAVE POCKETS!!" - Tick