[comp.sys.mac] MacDraw II Problems ...

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) (06/23/88)

We received our upgrade copy of MacDraw II yesterday and began trying it out
today.  It appears to be severely handicapped on Macintosh IIs with Radius
FPD displays.  The symptoms include only drawing part of a line on the
screen.  If you draw a box, it only draws the top and left and sides, but
not the bottom or right side.  If you zoom in or out, then the rest of the
object is drawn and stays drawn if you go back to a 100% zoom.  But any
newly added objects will appear messed up.  Completely horizontal lines
often are drawn on the screen at all (even though they are there).  This
problem does not occur on our SEs that have the Radius FPDs, nor does it
occur on our Mac II with the Apple color monitor.  Claris doesn't seem to
have tested this configuration (they apparently just tested SEs and
Radiuses).  Has anyone else seen a problem like this on a Mac II with a
Radius display?

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     ...!ihnp4!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Laboratories               <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/25/88)

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM(Ronald A. Guest) writes in comp.sys.mac

>We received our upgrade copy of MacDraw II yesterday and began trying it out
>today.  It appears to be severely handicapped on Macintosh IIs with Radius
>FPD displays.  The symptoms include only drawing part of a line on the
>screen.  If you draw a box, it only draws the top and left and sides, but
>not the bottom or right side.  If you zoom in or out, then the rest of the
>object is drawn and stays drawn if you go back to a 100% zoom.  But any
>newly added objects will appear messed up.  Completely horizontal lines
>often are drawn on the screen at all (even though they are there).  This
>problem does not occur on our SEs that have the Radius FPDs, nor does it
>occur on our Mac II with the Apple color monitor.  Claris doesn't seem to
>have tested this configuration (they apparently just tested SEs and
>Radiuses).  Has anyone else seen a problem like this on a Mac II with a
>Radius display?

	I do not know if this is the ENTIRE problem, but I believe that MacDraw II
requires you to use System 6.0 in order to run properly (why I don't know??).
You might try upgrading the systems and see if that works.
	Just a thought...

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (11/09/89)

In article <421@tci.bell-atl.com> Matt Kingman writes:

>Here's an intersting twist.  I have a IIx with 4MB and have had no problems
>running MacDraw II.  The other day I added an second monitor to the system
>and I now get the "Not enough memory to open a new document" error when I'm
>running with multifinder.  With finder, I can run with 1 or 2 monitors.
>Weird......

MacDraw II reserves a screenful of memory for a pixel map of each open
document. On a Plus or SE with a 512 by 342 by one-bit (B&W) screen,
that's only about 22K bytes; on an Apple 13" color monitor, with 8-bit
color selected, that's 640 by 480 by 8 bits, or about 300K bytes per
open document. A typical 19" color monitor, again at 8-bit color,
will make MacDraw II need almost 800K bytes per open document.

There are two ways to deal with this - (1) Increase the application
memory allocation for MacDraw II under Multifinder. (2) Reduce the number
of colors used by the monitors (in the Monitor cdev); most MacDraw work is B&W
anyway, and it actually uses at most 8 colors.

Interestingly, I posted a note on this subject here about a year ago,
just after MacDraw II came out. I had an immediate e-mail reply from a
Claris engineer on the subject. We agreed that the MacDraw manual was
inadequate in discussing this memory requirement topic. The manual
addendum that came out with MacDraw II v 1.1 has a full explanation of
the situation. Nice going Claris!!

							- John Gersh

gersh@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20707		       (301) 953-5503

dnagent@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mark D Phillips) (11/09/89)

Regarding the numerous questions about MacDraw II and memory problems,
I direct the posters to the information that you received with the
MacDraw II version 1.1 update: "Version 1.1 New Features Guide".
Pages 47-49 (in the MacDraw II Questions and Answers section) goes
into memory allocations that MacDraw II requires under different
situations.

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (11/10/89)

In article <6167@tank.uchicago.edu> scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) writes:
>Got a question concerning Claris MacDraw II (version 1.1).  When it runs on my
>SE/20 with 1 Mb, I've got no problems, however, if I try to make it run on my
>Mac IIcx with it's 5Mb memory, I get an error message when trying to open
>multiple files, or even a new document over an existing one.  What's even more
>confusing is that it's a "Not enough memory to open a new document" error.
>
>Has anybody seen this ?  Has anybody got an ideas as to what to do ?

OK, since you didn't provide the information, I have to assume that
you're running the SE under the regular Finder, and the IIcx under
MultiFinder, since that's what any sane person would do.  And here
is the root of your problem.  If you do a `Get Info' on the program
(choose the program, then either choose the `Get Info' item from the
menu or hit command-I), at the bottom there will be a box showing
how much memory is reserved for the application.  This is only
applicable under MultiFinder.  Change the number in the box to a
larger number.  Close the Get Info box.  Restart the application.
If you have added enough memory to the reserved amount, you should
be able to do what you want.

The problem is that under MultiFinder, this number is the amount of
memory reserved for the program when it runs, so you only get the
benefit of that much memory, not the full 5MB you have in the
machine.  Under the regular Finder, you get all the memory that's
left in the machine.  That's why the SE seems to have more memory
than the IIcx.

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (11/10/89)

>In article <6167@tank.uchicago.edu> scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) writes:
>Got a question concerning Claris MacDraw II (version 1.1).  When it runs on my  SE/20 with 1 Mb, I've got no problems, however, if I try to make it run on my
>Mac IIcx with it's 5Mb memory, I get an error message when trying to open
>multiple files, or even a new document over an existing one.  What's even more
>confusing is that it's a "Not enough memory to open a new document" error.
>
>Has anybody seen this ?  Has anybody got an ideas as to what to do ?

At a guess, you are running MacDraw on your IIcx under MultiFinder in too
small a partition, whereas you are running it on the SE under Finder,
so it gets the whole megabyte (or most of it, anyway) to itself.

Do a "get info" on the application icon in the finder and increase the
memory allocation.

Hope this helps

Jeremy Roussak

amosh@stl.stc.co.uk (Amos Hornsby) (11/15/89)

In article <11402@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
>In article <6167@tank.uchicago.edu> scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) writes:
>>Got a question concerning Claris MacDraw II (version 1.1).  When it runs on my  SE/20 with 1 Mb, I've got no problems, however, if I try to make it run on my
>>Mac IIcx with it's 5Mb memory, I get an error message when trying to open
>>multiple files, or even a new document over an existing one.  What's even more
>>confusing is that it's a "Not enough memory to open a new document" error.

MacDraw II needs more memory to run in on a colour machine. Change the
application memory size in the Get Info. window.

Amos

   Amos Hornsby
   STC Technology Ltd. London Road, Harlow, Essex.
           (amosh@stl.stc.co.uk <or> ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!stl!amosh
	     <or> PSI234237100122::AMOSH <or> +44-279-29531 x2725)