[comp.sys.mac] US Mac in Europe

borton@fwi.uva.nl (Chris Borton) (11/17/89)

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:

>In article <13524@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
>>In a previous article I wrote:
>>> Mac will work with 50Hz 220V power withOUT a
>>> transformer. At least a Mac plus will.
>>
>>That was WRONG. As Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu> pointed
>>out in a private mail, directly use 220 power on a Mac+ will damage it.
>>Sorry for the inaccurate information. Hope it did not do any damage. I
>>tried to cancel that article but I couldn't find it.
>>

>The Macintosh Hardware Reference says that by flipping a switch on the
>analog board of the Mac+, you can set it to take 220V input.

>Can someone confirm this?

That is true, but ONLY for the INTERNATIONAL Mac Plus version.  Beware--there
is an American analog board AND an international.  I know from hard
experience that they're different, and clipping the lead (not flipping the
switch) on the American power supply and then giving it 220V resulted in a
pretty but short fireworks display and killing the breaker switches for the
entire dorm floor :-(.

-cbb
Chris Borton	borton@fwi.uva.nl
Mac Developer & AppleTalk Network Administrator, University of Amsterdam CS