[comp.sys.mac] DeskWriter, anyone got one?

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (11/09/89)

In article <101080011@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> will@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (David A. Williams) writes:
>(It will be nice when HP gets the ink formula to be
>water proof, though.)

I wouldn't call it nice.  I'd call it ***CRUCIAL***.  The water soluble ink,
all by itself, causes me to just flat out rule out buying a DeskWriter
completely, period, no questions asked, regardless of the price.

Has HP or /dev/rumor said anything to the effect that HP will really do this?
I wonder if there's something in the ink deposit technology that means we
shouldn't hold our breath for water-fast ink.  Anybody really *know* anything
here?
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

tubbsk@prism.cs.orst.edu (Ken Tubbs) (11/10/89)

In article <465@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>In article <101080011@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> will@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (David A. Williams) writes:
>>(It will be nice when HP gets the ink formula to be
>>water proof, though.)
>
>I wouldn't call it nice.  I'd call it ***CRUCIAL***.  The water soluble ink,
>all by itself, causes me to just flat out rule out buying a DeskWriter
>completely, period, no questions asked, regardless of the price.
>
>Has HP or /dev/rumor said anything to the effect that HP will really do this?
>I wonder if there's something in the ink deposit technology that means we
>shouldn't hold our breath for water-fast ink.  Anybody really *know* anything
>here?
>--
A couple of my friends are ink chemists who have worked on the development
of the ink used in HP's inkjet printheads.  Although they would not come
right out and say that a waterproof ink is forthcoming they hinted that
a solution is technically feasible and just might appear soon.

Ken Tubbs, Gradual Student                     	Oregon State University
Internet: tubbsk@prism.cs.orst.edu		Computer Science Dept.
UUCP: {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!tubbsk		Corvallis, Oregon

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (11/14/89)

will@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (David A. Williams) writes:

>If I am not mistaken, it will not rotate the outline
>fonts.  Otherwise, fonts look great.  Certainly the
>price is right.

Correct. It will do even 90 degree rotations but not free rotations.
Free rotations are printed as 72 dpi bitmaps. Fortunately for me, I
have very little call for rotations other than 90 degrees.

>(It will be nice when HP gets the ink formula to be
>water proof, though.)

Yes, it will. It is my understanding that one of the several problems
with permanent ink is the particle size of the pigments versus the
aperature size of the 300 dpi jets. I have heard from sources inside
HP that they are actively working on it.

I don't have one but I use one semi frequently and it DOES do NICE
output. Very nice.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (11/17/89)

>>If I am not mistaken, it will not rotate the outline
>>fonts.  Otherwise, fonts look great.  Certainly the
>>price is right.
>
>Correct. It will do even 90 degree rotations but not free rotations.
>Free rotations are printed as 72 dpi bitmaps. Fortunately for me, I
>have very little call for rotations other than 90 degrees.

Correct, however if you have MacDraw II or some similarly well designed
application, you can get high quality rotated text at any angle if you have
large (4X) fonts or ATM installed.  What MacDraw II does is determine the
resolution of the printer and does the rotation itself.  It then sends both
the 300 DPI bitmap and the rotated text commands to DeskWriter and DeskWriter
will use which ever one it needs:  The text command for 90 degree rotations and
the 300 DPI bitmap for all others.  The output then looks very good.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (11/17/89)

In my previous response I said

"If you have MacDraw II or some similarly well designed application ..."
<I went on to say MacDraw II will rotate fonts at any angle in high quality
on the DeskWriter>

I didn't mean to imply applications that do this are common or that they are
not well designed.  Just that MacDraw II has this nice feature.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard