[comp.sys.mac] Quantum 105 drives

carlo@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (11/15/89)

There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while
MacWeek's M.O. section has an ad by MacTel Technology Corp. listing them at
12ms. I have seen both figures in other places also, but have no
references. Does anyone know what the story is?
Thanks,
Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

"Oh shit, not /dev/null!!!"

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/17/89)

carlo@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
>others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
>or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while
>MacWeek's M.O. section has an ad by MacTel Technology Corp. listing them at
>12ms. I have seen both figures in other places also, but have no
>references. Does anyone know what the story is?
>Thanks,
>Carlo.

All Quantum 3.5" ProDrives have an average seek time of 19 ms.  The only ont
drive that I know of that got that fast was the units by Core which use their
own proprietary controller for the IBM PC compatable market (somewhere between
ST412/506 and ESDI).  The data sheet for those units says 14 ms, but it was
not uncommon for a Core HC 310 to get an average seek of 12 to 10
milliseconds.

If you want speed and mass storage, get an Imprimis (CDC MacWren) or a Maxtor
unit.  In fact, MicroNet has put a freeze on purchasing ALL Quantum drives
until the problem is 100% fixed.  The drive mechanism problem on the P-40S and
P-80S has replicated itself on the P-105S, but to a much lesser extent, so
before the 105's got really bad, MicroNet just basically told Quantum "call us
when it's fixed, we're not selling anything made by you until you do."

I'm hoping that the 105's we have in house don't go kaput, if they do.  I'm
going to be very ticked off along with a few system engineers at Sun since
they're used as internal drives on the SPARCstation 1's and 3/80's

  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *         Apple Computer, Inc. is really the Anti-Christ!
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).