[comp.sys.mac] Help: ImageWriter Traction Feed Slips

Suhler (11/16/89)

I've got a 4-1/2 year old ImageWriter-I whose traction feed began to slip
about six months ago.  Whenever I run something heavy through, like an envelope,
it slips and print lines run together.

What can I do:  replace springs?  Sandpaper the platen?

Thanks.

Paul Suhler
Hybrid Dataflow Systems
914-789-7490

pxw@augean.OZ (Paul Whitbread) (11/17/89)

In article <1989Nov15.212920.3068@arnor.uucp> SUHLER@IBM.COM writes:
>I've got a 4-1/2 year old ImageWriter-I whose traction feed began to slip
>about six months ago.  Whenever I run something heavy through, like an envelope
>it slips and print lines run together.

Me too. But mine also slips with standard A4 bond (7gms) paper.
I blamed strained springs because I first noticed it after using a borrowed
Thunderscanner to digitize a photograph which was on very thick paper.
However, it is clearly a problem when the roller is dirty.  My partial
solution has been to clean the roller with alcohol (meth spirits,
not brandy!) each time I have trouble. But don't expect this to work
too well or for too long.  I find it very frustrating to be printing
a multipage document and find some of the pages that I didn't
watch carefully are no good.

Paul Whitbread
pxw@augean.ua.oz.au