[comp.sys.mac] My White Knight 11.0 update arrived!

mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) (11/16/89)

Well, I just got my copy of WK 11 too, what a nice surprise to get it so
quickly. I haven't run the program yet, but I did read through the manual.
I'd like to offer a couple of comments about the manual.

The folksy nature is fun too read, and I think it acts as a good tutorial. I
would like to see a separate section that just boils down the facts into a
more usable REFERENCE.

Compuserve B file transfer protocol just dropped off the face of the earth.
There was absolutely NO mention of it in the manual. Scott, when you make
such significant changes from one rev to another, don't you think it at least
deserves a mention in the manual. There should be a chapter way up front in
the manual devoted to major changes from previous rev like this. The example
dialog with Compuserve you have in the manual uses XMODEM protocol. Is this
the best choice, and won't this require more user interaction for downloading?
XMODEM does not send the file name at the beginning of the transfer acording
to your description of transfer protocols. What is the history of Compuserve B
and the new derivatives now available on Compuserve? I thought you were the
one who invented it. Why abandon it now?

On the positive side, I found the file transfer chapter excellent in describing
what xfer protocols are all about and how each of the protocols differed.

There should be a Chapter describing the step by step procedure to translate
10.3 settings, procedures, and macros into WK11. Yes, I know the info is there,
but it's all scattered about.

About the program itself, I sure hope the poster of this basenote is wrong
about the Command key not working. I have an original Mac upgraded to 1MegKE.
And like him, I don't want to have to reeducate my fingers.

That's all for now.

phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) (11/16/89)

In article <780079@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) writes:

>Compuserve B file transfer protocol just dropped off the face of the earth.
>There was absolutely NO mention of it in the manual. Scott, when you make
>such significant changes from one rev to another, don't you think it at least
>deserves a mention in the manual. There should be a chapter way up front in
>the manual devoted to major changes from previous rev like this. The example
>dialog with Compuserve you have in the manual uses XMODEM protocol. Is this
>the best choice, and won't this require more user interaction for downloading?
>XMODEM does not send the file name at the beginning of the transfer acording
>to your description of transfer protocols. What is the history of Compuserve B
>and the new derivatives now available on Compuserve? I thought you were the
>one who invented it. Why abandon it now?

     Errr, not quite...  CompuServe B has been removed from the program itself,
but there's an RCMD (documented on p.253) that implements Quick B protocol.
As long as CompuServe offers the faster QuickB now, there doesn't seem to me
to be much point in implementing the original CompuServe B.
     The only restriction I can see is that this would make it difficult or
impossible to use B/Quick B in your own procedures (since the QuickB RCMD is a
procedure itself)... of course, I've never actually used the RCMDs yet myself
(since I've had Internet access, I haven't felt the need for CI$... :) ),
so I could be wrong about this.  (When I actually get a Mac, I imagine I'll
become somewhat more familiar with WK... ;) )

--
Internet: phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu    (Univ. of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (11/17/89)

In article <780079@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) writes:
>Compuserve B file transfer protocol just dropped off the face of the earth.
>There was absolutely NO mention of it in the manual. Scott, when you make
.
.
.
>one who invented it. Why abandon it now?

Oooo... apparently someone didn't read the whole manual yet :-)
If you took a second to check the index, you'd find under "QuickB" page
253 which describes the QuickB protocol which is supported by an RCMD now.
It's still very simple to use, certainly not abandoned.

 (.) (.) | Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719    | BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A
    u    | USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu       | 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725
  \___/  | BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet        | Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/17/89)

In article <780079@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) writes:

>Compuserve B file transfer protocol just dropped off the face of the earth.
>There was absolutely NO mention of it in the manual. Scott, when you make
>such significant changes from one rev to another, don't you think it at least
>deserves a mention in the manual. There should be a chapter way up front in
>the manual devoted to major changes from previous rev like this. The example
>dialog with Compuserve you have in the manual uses XMODEM protocol. Is this
>the best choice, and won't this require more user interaction for downloading?
>XMODEM does not send the file name at the beginning of the transfer acording
>to your description of transfer protocols. What is the history of Compuserve B
>and the new derivatives now available on Compuserve? I thought you were the
>one who invented it. Why abandon it now?

Mike, CI$-B has been replaced with the Quik-B RCMD, which ocf course
is much faster then regular CI$-B. While I don't have my Wk manual
in front of me, I think its mentioned in there somewhere, though perhaps
not where you would like it to be. So CI$-B has not been abandoned, its
been improved and handled differently.

You can intiate it best by creating a macro key to run it when you have
entered the name for the file on CI$. Another possible way is to create
a user defined menu with a menu item to activate the RCMD.

There are also other RCMD's already being written and posted on GEnie
in the Freesoft Software libraries. Perhaps your local BBS will pick them
up. Or perhaps will eventually find there way to comp.binaries.mac.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

jholland@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (jholland) (11/17/89)

In article <780079@hpvcfs1.HP.COM> mikek@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Mike Kirkpatrick) writes:

>There should be a Chapter describing the step by step procedure to translate
>10.3 settings, procedures, and macros into WK11. Yes, I know the info is there,
>but it's all scattered about.

This is the information I needed to make upgrading from RR10.3 to WK
11.01 easier.

Make a copy of every file that is going to change.  If we get this
straight now, we'll all have a lot less grief.

If you need VT100 keypad support, upgrade from WK 11.0 to WK 11.01.
(My 3270 PF keys, which depend on the keypad, would not work
when I dialed up our IBM mainframe through a 7171 protocol converter.)
To upgrade, get on GEnie and download file 1443 in the Freesoft
libraries. UnStuffit to get:
 - PUP(TM) Decryptor v2.0, from Paragon Software, the makers of Nisus.
 - WK 11.01 Patches, a decryptor document
 - Update Notes (Plain Text), a MacWrite 4.6 document.

Double  click on  WK 11.01 Patches to launch the PUP Decryptor.
Identify WK 11.0 to it. If your System crashes, that copy of  WK 11.0
will be  corrupted, so throw it away and make another copy. (After my
System crashed, I rebooted, turned off all the INITs on my HD and
rebooted again into UniFinder.  I didn't have the patience to figure
out which INIT was conflicting.)  You could boot from a pared down
System on a floppy to make sure nothing will conflict.  Try decrypting
again.

You can use 10.3 procedures in 11.01. 10.3 procedures are compatible
with 11.01.

To use the same settings in 11.01 as in 10.3, save a Settings file in
RR 10.3, convert that file with the application Convert Settings that
comes on the WK 11.0 master disk, then  launch from the converted
Settings into 11.01. Convert Settings will also convert Red's 10.3
Stuff to be compatible with 11.01, but you have to rename it WK's 11.0
Stuff yourself. WK 11.0 won't recognize it otherwise.

Work your way through 11.01's menus, taking advantage of WK's new
features. I did most of my resetting in the Customize menu, naturally.
I checked Final Report in File Transfer Options, Long Packet Kermit in
Kermit Options and Using MultiFinder in White Knight Options, among others.

----
John Holland				jholland@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP