[comp.sys.mac] Printing to Postscript File Under Multifinder

stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) (11/16/89)

This may be a stupid question, or at least one that has been asked
many times, but what the hell:

Under Finder, when you select "Print", you can hold down command-F to
generate a Postscript file, rather than actually printing.  This is
very useful if you are using TeX on a Unix machine, and want to
include mac drawings.  My question is this:  how does one generate
those Postscript files under Multifinder?  Command-F doesn't work.
--
			    Michael Stiber
   stiber@cs.ucla.edu                  UCLA Computer Science Dept.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/16/89)

In article <STIBER.89Nov15222808@maui.cs.ucla.edu> stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) writes:
|Under Finder, when you select "Print", you can hold down command-F to
|generate a Postscript file, rather than actually printing.  This is
|very useful if you are using TeX on a Unix machine, and want to
|include mac drawings.  My question is this:  how does one generate
|those Postscript files under Multifinder?  Command-F doesn't work.

It should work.  You must, however, have Background printing turned
OFF.  If you are spooling your output, for PrintMonitor to print,
cmd-F has no effect.

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617)873-3463  |

bandy@capmkt.COM (Shift Happens) (11/17/89)

stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) asks how to generate a PostScript
file of what would be your Laserwriter output under Multifinder.

Michael,

    My guess is that you have printer spooling enabled.  If you turn
this off, then Command-F should work again.

Andy Beals
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED life form!

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (11/17/89)

In article <374@capmkt.COM> bandy@capmkt.COM (Shift Happens) writes:
>stiber@cs.ucla.edu (Michael D Stiber) asks how to generate a PostScript
>file of what would be your Laserwriter output under Multifinder.
>
>Michael,
>
>    My guess is that you have printer spooling enabled.  If you turn
>this off, then Command-F should work again.

  Just a followup that if you enable the "Print to Disk" box normally
hidden in all LaserWriter drivers (either using myPageSteup or ResEdit),
the system will spool Postscript files to disk in the background, just
as if it was printing to a LW in the background.  I think having the
print ot disk option available up front (as oppsed to having to
generate it with hidden keystrokes) is a great feature, and if it
didn't cause an incompatibility with Word 3.x printing, I would install
it on all systems.
  In any case, with background printing enabled, I don't think any LW
driver can still look for and accept keystrokes (ie. cmd-f).

					Jeff White
					University of Pennsylvania
					jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu