[comp.sys.mac] Magnetic storage and X-ray machines.

romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Goebel) (11/18/89)

Some of you out there have had the occasion to send your SE with hard
disk through the airport X-ray machine without loss of data.  I have
two related questions:

(1)  Is it generally true FROM EXPERIENCE that magnetic storage media
(tapes, floppy disks, hard disks) are immune to damage from airport
X-ray machines and/or metal detectors?

(2)  Is it true IN THEORY that magnetic storage media are safe from
these devices?

I have always insisted that airport personnel NOT pass my floppy disks
through the X-ray machine.  However, if this is just superstitious
behaviour, why bother creating a fuss?

------------------
Seeking the Truth,
patrick--romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/18/89)

In article <5850@lindy.Stanford.EDU> romeo@lindy.UUCP (Patrick Goebel) writes:

>(2)  Is it true IN THEORY that magnetic storage media are safe from
>these devices?

   A while ago I made the comment in this newsgroup that I thought that disk
drives were safe from soft X-rays because of their RF shielding, which is
required by the FCC.  And yes, I do know that X-rays and radio are not the
same... :-)
   However, you ask about floppies and tapes.  Magnetic media which are
passed through an x-ray machine are definitely at risk.  The reason I made
the comment about hard disks is that they are shielded quite well.
   Unshielded magnetic media definitely should not be passed through the
x-ray detector.  Although I haven't heard of any problems, the chances for
difficulty are at least 100 times greater than with fixed disks.

 -- Mark Wilkins
    wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu