[comp.sys.mac] MacConnection falters???

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (11/17/89)

Yes, it's true...After 3 years of happily dealing with MacConnection I have run
into the service that I get from other companies.

I ordered QuickMail from MC last thursday.  I was told that it would be here on
friday.  Friday.....Monday....Tuesday...No package.  I called and they said
that they couldn't even track my order since their computers were down and that
I *might* be able to find out on Wednesday.  I call on Wednesday and after
being put on hold for about 10 minutes, the salesperson tells me that they
installed a new computer system and couldn't get my order filled.  I was told
that I would definitely receive the package Thursday morning.  It's Thursday
and all the delivery services have come and gone.  Their phones have been busy
for the last hour, probably other people in the same boat.

Needless to say I am sorely disappointed.  It was too good to last, I guess

rowen@blake.acs.washington.edu (Russell Owen) (11/17/89)

I think you're being a bit hasty. MacConnection DID just replace their
computer system, and it has slowed down orders made around this time
(including, they warned me, the order I made yesterday).

It's a shame they didn't warn you that your order might get bolluxed up,
but I wouldn't go so far as to say they've gone downhill based on one
fairly-understandable incident. I just hope their new computer system
is reliable.

-- Russell Owen
owen@phast.phys.washington.edu
owen@uwaphast.bitnet

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (11/17/89)

In article <4159@cayman.COM>, chris@cayman (Chris North) writes:
>I ordered QuickMail from MC last thursday.  I was told that it would be here on
>friday.  Friday.....Monday....Tuesday...No package.  I called and they said
>that they couldn't even track my order since their computers were down and that
>I *might* be able to find out on Wednesday.  I call on Wednesday and after
>being put on hold for about 10 minutes, the salesperson tells me that they
>installed a new computer system and couldn't get my order filled.  I was told
>that I would definitely receive the package Thursday morning.  It's Thursday
>and all the delivery services have come and gone.  Their phones have been busy
>for the last hour, probably other people in the same boat.

> Needless to say I am sorely disappointed.  It was too good to last, I guess

Jeez, cut 'em some slack!  They have an excellent reputation.  They say
they just installed a new computer system and they are having problems with
the transition.  Things like this happen, but it's probably a blip.

Sam

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard C. Long) (11/18/89)

In article <128018@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) writes...

>In article <4159@cayman.COM>, chris@cayman (Chris North) writes:
>>[text about delayed MacConnection order deleted]
>
>> Needless to say I am sorely disappointed.  It was too good to last, I guess

>Jeez, cut 'em some slack!  They have an excellent reputation.  They say
>they just installed a new computer system and they are having problems with
>the transition.  Things like this happen, but it's probably a blip.

Agreed.  MacConnection has treated me EXTREMELY well for the past two years
now.  Judging from messages on the net, other people have had similar
experiences.  I'm sure we all know how trying a new computer installation can
be; I say give them a chance to sort it all out.  They'll be OK.

How quickly we forget.

Rich

 /~~) /~~ /     | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            |     decisions!!!!!
/~~\ /__ /__    | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |       Or is it??
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |========================

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/18/89)

	I'll add one vote in favor of MacConnection.  They have always
given me very good service (we're talking having a package in your hands
the morning after you order it at 6:30 PM Eastern Time), the folks who
answer the phone always seem to be very knowledgable about their products,
and the prices pretty much can't be beat (actually, on occassion my local
ComputerLand undercuts MC's software prices, much to my amazement).  I
think of Mac Connection as sort of the L.L. Bean's of the Macintosh world.
Must be something about New England, I guess.

	I just ordered a mouse from MC.  I had originally ordered it from
Icon Review.  They said it would be here yesterday.  Yesterday, I called
them, they said it had shipped, they would start a trace, and somebody
would call me back.  Today, still rodentless, I called again and was told
it was back ordered.  Why, I asked, was I told yesterday that it had
shipped.  Well, it seems, the computer said they were scheduled to have
come in from the manufacturer yesterday, or something like that, but they
hadn't.  I cancled the order and ordered it from my old standby,
MacConnection, who just happened to have it in stock and for $5 less.  They
volunteered that they were having computer problems and they could not
promise the usual overnight delivery but it would go out on Monday.  Fair
enough.  Nobody's perfect, and certainly anybody is allowed to be
non-perfect on occassion if they warn you in advance that it might happen.

	So, like somebody else already said so well, cut them some slack,
will ya?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

jh0576@leah.Albany.Edu (Joe Houghtaling) (11/18/89)

>In article <4159@cayman.COM>, chris@cayman (Chris North) writes:
>[text about delayed MacConnection order deleted]
>
> Needless to say I am sorely disappointed.  It was too good to last, I guess

  Add my voice to those in support of MacConnection.  They are a truly
  fine and reputable company.  I've never had any but excellent sevice
  from them and expect no less from them in the future.  I, for one, will
  not hesitate to order from them again and will continue to recommend them
  to my friends.

joe houghtaling
jh0576@albany.edu