[comp.sys.mac] ATM and saving bitmaps

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (11/17/89)

I used to think that I knew why ATM wouldn't let you save the bitmaps
created on the fly.  Now I'm not so sure.  The obvious argument was
"so people don't steal the bitmaps," but this doesn't hold water.  If
people were going to steal from an ATM-equipped system, they could
just as well steal the whole ATM setup, right?  All ATM would have to
do is check to see that ATM is running before allowing certain bitmaps
(atm-created ones) to be used.  Maybe store them in a special format
so that ATM must be used to read them.  This way, I could "install"
the fonts, and ATM would check the  first time I used them to make
sure I was legit, then I wouldn't have to worry about rebuilding them
if my queue got flushed, and I wouldn't have to allot a cahce (not
queue) to keep them from flushing.  For instance, there are certain
fonts that I use in my letter head that I don't have in bitmap, so
every time I bring up a new letter, they get created (pause), then
when I'm playing around with other fonts, they get flushed.  Bring up
another letter (pause), etc.

Another gripe/wish list would be a list of the fonts currently in the
cache, the cache hit rate, and the ability to selectively flush the
cache under user control.

And to make it faster.

And to support Type 3 fonts, or supply a conversion utility (even if
it's not going to translate hints).

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

dpaight@HP-UX.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight) (11/17/89)

In article <10597@venera.UUCP> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>This way, I could "install"
>the fonts, and ATM would check the  first time I used them to make
>sure I was legit, then I wouldn't have to worry about rebuilding them
>if my queue got flushed, and I wouldn't have to allot a cahce (not
>queue) to keep them from flushing.  For instance, there are certain

Speaking of the RAM cache, just how does ATM handle it?  What I mean
is, does the program take whatever cache space is available, or does
it leave some for other programs?  It would be a shame if ATM
rendered the RAM cache practically unavailable to other programs.
Could I "tell" it to, say, take 96k for itself, but to leave another
64k for applications?  If not, wouldn't it be better to store all of
ATM -- fonts and all -- in the system heap and then make the amount
of space ATM occupies configurable in a cdev or something?

dp

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/19/89)

As quoted from <2070@network.ucsd.edu> by dpaight@HP-UX.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight):
+---------------
| Speaking of the RAM cache, just how does ATM handle it?  What I mean
| is, does the program take whatever cache space is available, or does
| it leave some for other programs?  It would be a shame if ATM
+---------------

ATM uses its own cache, not the General CDEV RAM cache.  ATM's cache size can
be changed via the "~ATM" CDEV.

BTW, to jas@ISI who asked about Type 3 fonts: Brian Beziaton pointed out that
Type 3 fonts are pretty much general PostScript, so for ATM to handle them it
would have to be a Display PostScript program and not just a font generator.
That *is* asking for a bit much....

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)