[comp.sys.mac] Uploading Text Conversion

ktrostel@athena.mit.edu (Ian Dowell) (11/16/89)

Does anyone know of the existence of a DA that
will convert a text file or the clipboard to
plain, uploadable text - no Mac characters like
bullets or accented letters, no curly quotes,
80 character lines, etc?

Ian Dowell
ktrostel@athena.mit.edu

>Does anyone know of the existence of a DA that
>will convert a text file or the clipboard to
>plain, uploadable text - no Mac characters like
>bullets or accented letters, no curly quotes,
>80 character lines, etc?

McSink is a shareware DA that does that. An enhjanced, commercial version is
callt Vantage.

A stand-alone application that does it is "Add/Strip".

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>    Editor,OtherRealms    <+>   Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com   <+>   CI$: 73317,635   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All it takes if one thorn to make you forget the dozens of roses on the bush.

ktrostel@athena.mit.edu (Ian Dowell) (11/17/89)

In article <36533@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Does anyone know of the existence of a DA that
>>will convert a text file or the clipboard to
>>plain, uploadable text - no Mac characters like
>>bullets or accented letters, no curly quotes,
>>80 character lines, etc?
>
>McSink is a shareware DA that does that. An enhjanced, commercial version is
>callt Vantage.
I've tried the shareware DA and as far as I can tell, it doesn't do sets
of replacements.  Am I missing something?  Does Vantage allow sets?

>A stand-alone application that does it is "Add/Strip".
This works fine under Multifinder but I'm really looking for
a DA

    Ian Dowell                     |          ktrostel@athena.mit.edu
           As a bathtub lined with white porceline,
           When the hot water gives out or goes tepid,
           So is the slow cooling of our chivalrous passion,
           O my much praised but-not-altogether-satisfactory lady.
                          -Ezra Pound
  EXCLAIMER:  Hey!

cbm@well.UUCP (Chris Muir) (11/19/89)

In message <15962@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> ktrostel@athena.mit.edu (Ian Dowell)
writes:
-In article <36533@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
->>Does anyone know of the existence of a DA that
->>will convert a text file or the clipboard to
->>plain, uploadable text - no Mac characters like
->>bullets or accented letters, no curly quotes,
->>80 character lines, etc?
->
->McSink is a shareware DA that does that. An enhjanced, commercial version is
->callt Vantage.
-I've tried the shareware DA and as far as I can tell, it doesn't do sets
-of replacements.  Am I missing something?  Does Vantage allow sets?
->
->A stand-alone application that does it is "Add/Strip".
-This works fine under Multifinder but I'm really looking for
-a DA

Vantage, McSink's commercial cousin has a macro capability that could do
what you want. In addition to the macros is has a programmers interface! If
you can write Pascal or C you can write a piece of code, a VCMD, that can
do anything you want to the text. Vantage is wonderful. For example, in it's
phonetic mode, the Vantage spell checker has "fish" as it's second guess for
the word "ghoti".

Chris Muir                             |   "There is no language in our lungs
{hplabs,pacbell,ucbvax,apple}          |    to tell the world just how we feel"
!well!cbm                              |                         - A. Partridge