[comp.sys.mac] Pagemaker import of Word 4.0 files

riddle@mathcs.emory.edu (Larry Riddle) (10/26/89)

Today I installed new copies of Word 4.0 and Pagemaker 3.01 on a Mac IIcx
system that the student newspaper at Agnes Scott College recently
purchased. I seem to recall dicussion in this forum that Pagemaker
3.01 could not import Word 4.0 files, and indeed, when I tried to
do this as an experiment, I was not successful.

Could someone please email me the details on what version of Pagemaker
we need to get to be able to import Word 4.0 files. I realize that one
can save the word documents in Word 3.0 format and import them, but I
would prefer not to have to go that route.

Thank you.

--
Larry Riddle        | riddle@mathcs.emory.edu         PREFERRED
Agnes Scott College | {decvax,gatech}!emory!riddle    UUCP

Howie.Fenton@f402.n273.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howie Fenton) (11/14/89)

Heres the scoop. YOu need either Pagemaker 3.02 or Express 2.12 to import
Word 4.0 files. But there is another solution. You can go to the save
window and alter the file format that it saves in. You can tell it to save
it as a Word 3.0 file and then click make default and it will always save
it in that format. Howie Fenton The Desktop Publisher newspaper

--
Howie Fenton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!273!402!Howie.Fenton

hlee@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Chih Lee) (11/17/89)

In article <29968.2562DE7F@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Howie.Fenton@f402.n273.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howie Fenton) writes:
>Heres the scoop. YOu need either Pagemaker 3.02 or Express 2.12 to import
>Word 4.0 files. But there is another solution. You can go to the save
>window and alter the file format that it saves in. You can tell it to save
>it as a Word 3.0 file and then click make default and it will always save
>it in that format. Howie Fenton The Desktop Publisher newspaper

I do not think it is a good way to do so, specially there is a table in your
document created by Word 4.0.  Saving as a Word 3.0 format will lost the table
in your document if your document has it.

Lee

SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu (Sonja Kueppers) (11/19/89)

In article <17050@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, hlee@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Chih Lee) says:

>I do not think it is a good way to do so, specially there is a table in your
>document created by Word 4.0.  Saving as a Word 3.0 format will lost the table
>in your document if your document has it.

Save the document in Word 4.0.  Then convert the table to text, and save in
Word 3.  This way, you have a copy to use with Pagemaker (with the table)
and you can still edit the Word 4 document with the table in it.
-Sonja