[comp.sys.mac] WingZ, ResEdit, & a Newcomer!

mms380@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/18/89)

Hello.

A relative newcomer to the Mac world, I am looking for some advice - I hope
someone will be kind enough to help.

a) I purchased WingZ from a mail order place called Program Plus, and, after
   having verbally confirmed that I would get version 1.1, they still shipped
   version 1.0. Their customer service people told me that my only recourse
   is to call Informix and receive the upgrade. But this will cost $. (I think)
   So should I press the matter with Program Plus, or are they being
   perfectly "fair"?

b) I have a SE20 running system 6.0.3, and I would like to get ResEdit for it.
   Is this program free? If so, where may I download it from? If not, where
   may I purchase it from? I was going through the tutorial on Think's C and
   the book "Macintosh Revealed", and they claim that I need ResEdit to get
   started.

Thank you in advance, and I hope this is not the wrong newsgroup to post such
matters.

Milan
mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (11/18/89)

In article <46700122@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> mms380@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>a) I purchased WingZ from a mail order place called Program Plus, and, after
>   having verbally confirmed that I would get version 1.1, they still shipped
>   version 1.0. Their customer service people told me that my only recourse
>   is to call Informix and receive the upgrade. But this will cost $. (I think)
>   So should I press the matter with Program Plus, or are they being
>   perfectly "fair"?

Don't worry about it.  Informix is shipping version 1.1 of WingZ to all
their registered users for free.  We received ours a few weeks ago.
Kudos to Informix!

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/19/89)

In <46700122@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> mms380@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> after having verbally confirmed that I would get version 1.1, they still
> shipped version 1.0. Their customer service people told me that my only
> recourse is to call Informix and receive the upgrade.

	Sounds like you are dealing with a real slimey operation.  I'm not
sure what the proper course of action to take to solve your immediate
problem is, but the right thing to do in the future is to only deal with a
reputable firm like MacConnection.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (11/19/89)

In article <17083@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <46700122@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> mms380@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>a) I purchased WingZ from a mail order place called Program Plus, and, after
>>   having verbally confirmed that I would get version 1.1, they still shipped
>>   version 1.0. Their customer service people told me that my only recourse
>>   is to call Informix and receive the upgrade. But this will cost $. (I think)
>>   So should I press the matter with Program Plus, or are they being
>>   perfectly "fair"?
>

>Don't worry about it.  Informix is shipping version 1.1 of WingZ to all
>their registered users for free.  We received ours a few weeks ago.
>Kudos to Informix!

The free upgrade includes magnetic media only, the documentation cost $37.
Call Informix at 1-800-331-1763 and ask for a complete upgarde if they don't
give it to you for free then press the matter with Program Plus.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (11/19/89)

In article <46700122@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> mms380@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>a) I purchased WingZ from a mail order place called Program Plus, and, after
>   having verbally confirmed that I would get version 1.1, they still shipped
>   version 1.0. Their customer service people told me that my only recourse
>   is to call Informix and receive the upgrade. But this will cost $. (I think)
>   So should I press the matter with Program Plus, or are they being
>   perfectly "fair"?
>Milan
>mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Version 1.1 will be shipped to all registered user for free. However,
Informix told me that I would need to fill out an order sheet (included
in the upgrade kit) if I want a new manual.

I still haven't received the upgrade yet, unfortunately. If there is
anyone in the net who has received the upgrade, would he/she tell us
what the new features are? Also, for those who has upgraded the manual,
is the new manual worth $30?

Thanks,

--
Chang P. Woo           | Chang.P.Woo@dartmouth.EDU (preferred)

 chang.woo@dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) writes:
>I still haven't received the upgrade yet, unfortunately. If there is
>anyone in the net who has received the upgrade, would he/she tell us
>what the new features are? Also, for those who has upgraded the manual,
>is the new manual worth $30?

The new documentation cost $37, a video on HyperScript is also available
for $59. All registered WingZ owners will recieve the media upgrade free,
call 1-800-331-1763 for more information.

Ron Bannon