[comp.sys.mac] Torx screwdriver

gray@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) (11/14/89)

In article <5304@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> tom@kahuna.UUCP (Tom Craven) writes:
>"torx screwdriver".  It turned out to be a 50 cent allen wrench.  It won't
>remove screws if they are tight since it lacks a torx head to fit the
>screws.

For those of you that are interested, I bought my 15' torx tool from Snap-on
tools.  The part number is SSTX1015 and it has Torx T15 on it too.

I also used it last weekend to replace the front headlight on my Mom's
'86 Oldsmobile so get one today =+]...

gray

p.s. I think it was $8.95 or something.  It was a while ago.

tomj@oakhill.UUCP (Tom Johnson) (11/15/89)

In article <20618@unix.cis.pitt.edu> gray@med.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) writes:

>For those of you that are interested, I bought my 15' torx tool from Snap-on
                                                   ^^^

>gray

Wow!  a fifteen FOOT torx scrwdriver for $8.95.  Definitely one of the best
tool buys of the decade (:>).  How do you fit it in your toolbox?

tomj

Disclaimer:  If Motorola knew i had access to this network, they might
disclaim me!  My views are my own, of course.

parag@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Parag Patel) (11/15/89)

(Just contributing to the drift...)

> For those of you that are interested, I bought my 15' torx tool from Snap-on
> tools.  The part number is SSTX1015 and it has Torx T15 on it too.

Torx drivers should also be available at Sears.  If they aren't at the
store, they should definitely be in the tools catalog.  They have a
pretty nice driver that holds several different tips in the handle.  I
seem to remember that extra tips are also available.

	-- Parag

silverio@brahms.berkeley.edu (C J Silverio) (11/20/89)

Parag Patel writes:
>Torx drivers should also be available at Sears.  If they aren't at the
>store, they should definitely be in the tools catalog.  They have a
>pretty nice driver that holds several different tips in the handle.  I
>seem to remember that extra tips are also available.

Yeah, they sell Torx bits, but not a 15" bitdriver.  (These bits are
about 1" long, black anodized, and have a 1/4" hex end opposite a
screwdriver or Torx end.)

My solution was to go to the local Humongous Tool Warehouse and poke
around til I found an all-purpose bitdriver that happened to include
Torx bits as well as Phillips and Slotted sizes. I needed a long
screwdriver anyway. It was cheap, it will do anything, and I can go
back and buy more bits if I want. Sears, fr'example, sells a 36 bit
set with a dinky driver handle for a fair piece o change.

Incidentally, a 12" driver will work (sort of), a #15 Torx will also
work (sortof, be careful) and you don't NEED those two screws in the
handle for anything other than warrantee verification. They don't seem
to add any structural strength.

If you want a "spreader," ask for an electric arc welding "ground
clamp." This is what most of those kits give you: a silver thing that
looks like one of those wrist muscle excercizers (and will double as
that, as well) about 6" long with flat lip-like pincers that close as
you release pressure. Cheap cheap.

I personally just set the Mac facedown on the floor, put my sneakers
on either side, and give a yank. Of course, if I were getting paid for
this, I would buy a spreader.

The very first way we opened a Mac was to grind down the handle of one
of the Appletalk Torx drivers.

BTW, Do NOT EVER overtighten any torx screws on the Mac. This WILL
cause damage. Just make sure the case is well closed first (clomp it a
couple) and then just bring the screws snug.

Also BTW, scredrivers are measured including the handle, which is
cannonically 6 inches long.

Have fun, and watch out for high voltage.