[comp.sys.mac] Converting PC screen dumps

scotth@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott R. Herzinger) (11/17/89)

Does anyone know of a technique for converting text screen dumps made
on a PC clone into a reasonable facsimile that a Mac can use?  A PC
dumps its screen buffer to a file, yielding a file containing the
non-ASCII characters representing line rules, etc.  I need to view that
file on a Mac and integrate it in a document.  I need to have the line
rules, etc., intact.  I can imagine some techniques, but am hoping for
a finished product, commercial or otherwise, that will do the job.

Alternatively, can anyone clue me into possible simple graphics interchange
formats and relevant tools?  These PC screen dumps can be transformed
into some sort of graphics representation.  Maybe it would be easier
to import these.

Thanks,
Scott
--
Scott Herzinger   scotth%crl.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (11/20/89)

In article <5081@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> scotth@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott R. Herzinger) writes:
>Does anyone know of a technique for converting text screen dumps made
>on a PC clone into a reasonable facsimile that a Mac can use?

There is a progrgram known as MacChuck published by Vano Associates
that lets you run a PC remotely in a Mac window over serial interfaces
or Appletalk.  With this program, you can use the Mac's screen capture
facility to capture a PC screen.  Macchuck only works when the PC
display is in character mode, so you can't use it to capture graphics
screens.  It does, however, faithfully represent all of the PC's
graphics characters (and even includes the Mac bitmap fonts needed to
do this).  Highly recommended, costs $80 or $100 if I recall
correctly.

Vano Associates, Inc.
P. O . Box 12730
New Brighton, MN 55112
612-788-9547

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection to Vano Associates other than as a
satisfied customer.

hh