[comp.sys.mac] SCSI Accelerator for Mac

dino.karbaliotis@canremote.uucp (DINO KARBALIOTIS) (11/18/89)

>From: jkain@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
>Orga: Indiana University CSCI, Bloomington
>
>I own a Mac Plus with a Radius Accelerator 16.   I also work with
>Macintosh IIcx computers, and I've noticed that the hard drives are
>MUCH faster on the CXs than on my Plus which runs at the same speed
>(although with '020 instead of '030 and a 16 bit data path <?>).
>
>My question is, are there any good, reasonably priced SCSI upgrades
>available for the Plus, and how much of a difference would this make
>on my configuration (I have a Jasmine BackPac40 drive, which I assume
>is a Quantum drive).

There is an init for the Mac Plus called SCSI Accel, which is shareware.
The 'package' comes with what is actually about 6 inits, which allows
you to try out which one works best with your hard drive.  I use the
fastest one with my MacCrate 60 MB and it seems to give me about a
10-15% improvement in disk accesses.  I checked this out by comparing a
file duplication before and after.  Of course, the thing that still
slows me down is the Finder updating itself, so another thing you could
do to cut that down is partition your hard disk to reduce the size of
the desktop being updated.  I don't know however how the SCSI Accel init
would deal with your Radius accelerator.  The file is I believe
available through CompuServe.  This should not be confused with a system
file also called SCSI Accelerator, which I found to not be useful in
improving speed.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

dolf@fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (11/20/89)

dino.karbaliotis@canremote.uucp (DINO KARBALIOTIS) writes:

> There is an init for the Mac Plus called SCSI Accel, which is shareware.
> The 'package' comes with what is actually about 6 inits, which allows
> you to try out which one works best with your hard drive.  I use the
> fastest one with my MacCrate 60 MB and it seems to give me about a
> 10-15% improvement in disk accesses.  I checked this out by comparing a
> file duplication before and after.  Of course, the thing that still
> slows me down is the Finder updating itself, so another thing you could
> do to cut that down is partition your hard disk to reduce the size of
> the desktop being updated.  I don't know however how the SCSI Accel init
> would deal with your Radius accelerator.  The file is I believe
> available through CompuServe.  This should not be confused with a system
> file also called SCSI Accelerator, which I found to not be useful in
> improving speed.
Actually, from the description I gather the what is called SCSI Accel here
is the set of inits that I wrote. They are supposed to work with any system
up to 6.04. and the software is in fact not shareware, but is is freeware.
So you don't have to send me any money if you use it. What you call
SCSI Accelerator is probably an earlier version of this init written by
somebody else. This version broke with system 6.0.x (meaning it did not
result in performance inprovements).

--dolf

Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/+31 20 592 5022, TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)
SNAIL:           Dept. of Math. and Computing Science, University of Amsterdam,
                 Kruislaan 409, NL-1098 SJ  Amsterdam, The Netherlands