[comp.sys.mac] Aladdin System releases info on ShortCut, Stuffit Deluxe

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/18/89)

Came home to find a note from Aladdin Systems, the new home for Raymond Lau
and StuffIt, and was happy to discover that they remembered I registered for
StuffIt oh those many years ago.  They mention that StuffIt can now be
purchased directly from Aladdin for $25, and that StuffIt Deluxe will ship
in late December.  Features in D. StuffIt include:

    Opening multiple StuffIt archives at once.
    Faster, better, more powerful compression methods
    DES and NewDE encryption
    Drag files between archives
    Standard & Expert modes
    QuickStuff and QuickUnStuff one-step compression/decompression
    PKZip and ARC support for IBM compatibility
    Online Documentation (Help)

The main purpose of the note appears to be the announcement of a new INIT
called ShortCut.  It's a major extension of the SFVolumeInit INIT.  Besides
the standard pop-up menu in Open and Save dialog boxes allowing for new
folders to be created, it contains frequently used folders (like Boomerang)
and a search facility.  It also allows searching and decompression of
StuffIt files from ShortCut.  It also keeps lists of frequently-used folders
and documents for each application, and has some basic file capabilities
(delete, rename, lock) capabilities.  Goes for $79.95, but for StuffIt
owners, $49.95.

-----

General impressions: looks like a very nice utility (especially the
application-specific frequently-used documents and folders list);
unfortunately, I just bought the new version of DiskTop (well worth the
upgrade money), and between it and the Boomerang, things are pretty well
covered.  I'd like ShortCut, but it isn't worth $50 of convenience to me.

                           "You deliver a good argument, but speaking
                            personally, I'd rather have an exhibitionist
                            nymphomaniac, especially one who looked like Julie
                            Newmar."
                                           -- Jerry Boyajian
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/20/89)

In article <12584@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (moi) writes:
>General impressions [On ShortCut]: looks like a very nice utility
>(especially the
>application-specific frequently-used documents and folders list);
>unfortunately, I just bought the new version of DiskTop (well worth the
>upgrade money), and between it and the Boomerang, things are pretty well
>covered.  I'd like ShortCut, but it isn't worth $50 of convenience to me.

Especially after trying out Boomerang 2.0B9 this weekend.  I take it back --
you can have application-specific files if you want them in Boomerang.  And
Lord, it's nice to use -- I can switch off about five INITs now that I use
Boomerang.  This is definitely the best utility to come along all year, and
that includes the DiskTop 4.0 upgrade.  Nice Work!

Standing ovation for Mr. Yamamoto, and if he ever decides to relase
Boomerang as ShareWare instead of Freeware, I'll have a check down to him so
fast it'll make his head swim.

                           "[Mort] Sahl and [Alexander] Haig were discussing
                            Henry Kissinger. Sahl mentioned that, of course,
                            Kissinger could not be the US President since he
                            was not born in the US.  Haig said, no, that's a
                            common misconception, Kissinger was born in the
                            US.  'How did he get that accent?' asked Sahl.
                            Haig replied, 'From never listening to anybody.'"
---