[comp.sys.mac] Air travel and hard drives

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (11/09/89)

In article <1989Nov7.174155.192@eplrx7.uucp> milbouma@eplrx7.UUCP (Mark Milbourne SCD) writes:
>A college is traveling via one of the local
>airline services and he wants to take an external hard disk along.
>Obviously he won't be passing it through the X-ray machines, but I'm
>wondering about the security checks.  What will those folks do?

I've been doing that for the past few weeks. I ask for a "hand-check"
on the disk and from SAN and JFK they always ask me to turn the
disk on so they can hear it wirr. From JFK they usually call an
airline rep to sign the box through security. I havn't been turned
away yet despite the assortment of wires and tools. I expect one day
I'll be asked to open up the disk case (4 screws).

(3 return trips so far - 4th tomorrow)

--alen the Lisa slayer
   ...alen%shappy@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)

sam@neoucom.UUCP (Scott A. Mason) (11/13/89)

In article <912@etsu.CMI.COM> dave@etsu.cmi.com.UUCP (David Halonen) writes:
>...he wants to take an external hard disk along.
>Obviously he won't be passing it through the X-ray machines, but I'm
>wondering about the security checks.  What will those folks do?

The airports don't seem to be consistent in this area.  From my recent
travels (Mac SE taken as carry-on luggage), the security seems to be at
the discretion of the baggage-checker.  All airports insisted that I run
my Mac (with external hard drive) through the X-ray machine.  I
specifically asked for a hand-check, but was denied and was told that
unless I complied with their wishes, the Mac could not go on the plane.
Furthermore, at one airport, not only did I have to run it through the
machine, but I had to assemble the Mac and turn it on as well.

On a good note, no damage seems to have been done by the dreaded X-ray
machines.  Just goes to show you how a couple of idiots (i.e. people who
feel the need to put bombs on airplanes...) can screw things up for the
rest of us.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and certainly don't blame me.
UUCP:  {pitt,scooter,hal,cwjcc,aablue}!neoucom!sam   INTERNET:  sam@neoucom.EDU
Scott A. Mason, Coordinator of Systems Operations, NEOUCOM

ens@ccu.umanitoba.ca (11/16/89)

I frequently send my hard disk the through airline X-ray security system.
Disks are magnetic media; X-rays cause no damage.
Werner Ens, Winnipeg, Canada

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (11/20/89)

In article <1989Nov15.190945.22443@ccu.umanitoba.ca> ens@ccu.UManitoba.CA () writes:
>I frequently send my hard disk the through airline X-ray security system.
>Disks are magnetic media; X-rays cause no damage.

Now there's a question I've been wanting an answer to for a long time
and it's related to the one answered above. Not do X-Rays cause magnetic
media any harm but do X-rays cause electronic circuitry any harm. From
"knock-on-protons" to surface static discharges. Any physicists out there?
What about weather radar in the nose cones of certain small commuter
airliners right next to the forward baggage compartment!!.

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)