[comp.sys.mac] Switch-a-Roo FKEY breaks on IIci?

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (11/17/89)

I just installed a Mac IIci with 5 meg of RAM and an Apple 12" color
monitor running off the built-in video.  Running through quick tests
of my most-used software, I was pleased to find no compatibility
problems.  That is until I tried my favorite FKEY: Bill Steinberg's
Switch-A-Roo.

On our Mac II, I have Switch-A-Roo configured to switch between 2-bit
B&W and 8-bit color, but when I invoke it on the IIci, it goes into
8-bit grey and stays there.  If I call up the configuration dialog
(with control-command-shift-N) to edit and save the settings, I find
that the settings are lost when I call up the dialog again.  Both of
the toggle states are set to grays with no selected bit-depths.  Bummer.

I am using version 1.3.  Does anyone know if there is a version of
Switch-A-Roo that works on the IIci's built-in video?  I was really
addicted to this little jewel.

By the way, there is a hidden credits display in the configuration
dialog: to see it, click on the version number in the lower right
corner.
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

andrew@jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG (Andrew Esh) (11/19/89)

	I am currently using a IIcx, and have a lot of different INITs
and CDEVs and things that I use.  I backed it all up and moved to a IIci
for a week and a half of compatibility testing.  I spent half a week
finding all the things that did not work, including the application
I am currently developing.  Here is a partial list:

 Pixel Paint
 DA Menuz (Shows the submenus, but selection doesn't have an effect)
 Switch-A-Roo
 The Debugger (Jasik)
 Fresh Start
 My SCSI application. (wipes out during SCSI acces)
 Other color QuickDraw applications (pallette handling is different)
 MultiFinder 6.1b7 (the one you have to have for SADE)
 SADE (see above)
 TMON (yes, the debugger that everyone loves)

	All in all, I'd have to say that my desire to buy a IIci just
ended.  MPW works fine (and it rips), but with nothing but MacsBug to debug
with, it gets unfun to work on.  By the way, MacApp works just fine.
Now I am back on my IIcx, and everything runs again.

	For those of you who don't know, the Mac IIci has a new 512k ROM.
I have not done a thorough review, but I have noticed problems in
the SCSI area, and the Color QuickDraw area.  There are other
undefined problems that cause things like TMON to crash. (TMON kind
of just MELTS)  MultiFinder 6.1b7 doesn't work because the Finder no longer
does the Desktop repainting.  That's MultiFinder's job now.  I heard more
on this somewhere (here maybe?)  There has been enough redesign between
the two that the old ones just don't work anymore.  Sade won't run without
6.1b7, since it needs to go through MultiFinder to watch the application
that is being debugged.  MultiFinder 6.0.4, which is shipped with the
IIci does not support this kind of activity.

	I'll wait for the F-19, due out next Spring.  Same 512k ROM, and
more time will have passed for the software industry to catch up.

					- Andrew

--
Andrew C. Esh                         andrew@Minnetech.MN.ORG
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

ieee@smu.uucp (IEEE group account) (11/20/89)

In article <9313@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eacj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) writes:
>I am using version 1.3.  Does anyone know if there is a version of
>Switch-A-Roo that works on the IIci's built-in video?  I was really
>addicted to this little jewel.

Bill Steinberg has a beta version that works with the IIci.  You can
find him on Compuserve (sorry I don't have address handy.

-Fred

-  Fred Hollander              |  AppleLink: F.Hollander                      -
-  President                   |  CIS:       72077,3544                       -
-  Software Innovations, Inc.  |  Internet:  f.hollander@applelink.apple.com  -
-                                                                             -
-  SMU is not responsible for the content of this posting.                    -

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (11/20/89)

In article <349@jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG> andrew@jhereg.UUCP (Andrew Esh) writes:

>	I am currently using a IIcx, and have a lot of different INITs
>and CDEVs and things that I use.  I backed it all up and moved to a IIci
>for a week and a half of compatibility testing.  I spent half a week
>finding all the things that did not work, including the application
>I am currently developing.  Here is a partial list:
>
> Pixel Paint
> DA Menuz (Shows the submenus, but selection doesn't have an effect)
> Switch-A-Roo
> The Debugger (Jasik)
> Fresh Start
> My SCSI application. (wipes out during SCSI acces)
> Other color QuickDraw applications (pallette handling is different)
> MultiFinder 6.1b7 (the one you have to have for SADE)

    MultiFinder  6.1b9 fixes the problem.....it is available on Applelink.

					Mike Bell

Mike Bell                                     CSnet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
Senior Engineer                               Applelink: D2747
DuPont Electronic Imaging
Core Technology Group

    MacBrisc..... When you feel the need for speed..........