[comp.sys.mac] Running DAs not in System File?

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (11/09/89)

In article <2626@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp22@bingsune.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) writes:
>In article <129@tenset.UUCP>, paul@tenset.UUCP (Paul Andrews) writes:
>> Does anyone out there have a PD DA that will run other DA's? [rem. deleted]
>I don't know of anything PD, but programs like Master Juggler, Font/DA Juggler
>and Suitcase do just that.

I have a public domain/shareware (I don't know which without digging it out)
DA called "AppleApple" (actually, it's just got two of the 'apple' logo things
from the Chicago font, but it's kind of hard to "paste" one of those in here).
This DA allows you to open another DA that is located anywhere (by using the
StandardFile dialog).  It then adds an "AppleApple" item to the menu bar,
from which you can "re-open" a previously selected DA (if you "closed" it by
clicking in the "close" box), or to permanently "close" (i.e., "forget about")
the currently selected DA.  Note that "AppleApple" only allows you to have
ONE non-System-Folder DA selected at a time.

From what I remember, it worked quite well, but there was at least one DA that
DIDN'T work with "AppleApple" (I don't remember which).  I don't usually keep
it installed (at least not any more), but it is nice to have if you've just
acquired a ****load of new DAs and you DON'T have Master Juggler, or Font/DA
Juggler, or Suitcase, etc., and you DON'T want to spend the next three days
installing and de-installing things with the Font/DA Mover.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, if anyone is interested, drop me e-mail
and I'll dig it out.  If it is PD or shareware, I'll BinHex it and StuffIt
and mail it off to you.

M. A. Pasek          Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668          CNG--er--PU4 Port Devel.          2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/11/89)

As quoted from <129@tenset.UUCP> by paul@tenset.UUCP (Paul Andrews):
+---------------
| Does anyone out there have a PD DA that will run other DA's? My basic
| problem is that I don't have enough room on my system disk for all the
| DA's I'd like to have. A DA that can run other DA's from a DA file would
| solve this problem.
+---------------

There is a DA called "Other..." which will do this; however, it does not deal
with numbering conflicts between DAs, so it's generally useless without custom
copies of DAs with changed resource numbers.  You must also close the DA file
before opening another, and you can not pack multiple DAs into a file to be
used by "Other...".

For $60, you can get Suitcase II, which not only solves this problem in a
general way by allowing any number of DA suitcases to be opened at the same
time, but also gets around the limit of 15 DAs possessed by a standard System.
It also allows fonts to be used from font suitcases.  ("Suitcase" refers to
the icon on the font or DA file, for the uninitiated.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (11/12/89)

In article <1989Nov10.232904.3863@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>For $60, you can get Suitcase II

Or, you can get it from some mail order place like MacConnection and
pay $45....
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (11/18/89)

I've seen a couple of DAs, and I think even an FKEY, that do this and
are public domain or shareware.  However, they were all subject to
random crashes.  I can't say if the crashes were their fault or the
fault of faulty DAs that they were being used to run.

For something like this, it is probably best to stick to commercial
software such as Suitcase or Juggler.

						Tim Smith

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (11/20/89)

I wrote a DA about 2 or 3 years ago called "Run'R" (for Run Resource) which
runs DA's, Fkeys, and opens font files and then opens the "Key Caps" DA for
you to display the font (It will show up in the font menu). I intended to
make it a shareware product and improve upon it. It has managed to survive
all the system changes from System 3.x or so without needing fixes. In fact
the DA Handler helps it out in a way. My DA opens up DA/Fkey files but doesn't
monitor them so it can close the file when necessary. When the DA Handler quits
it closes all those files. This also happened before the DA Handler when you
would launch or quit an application.

When Suitcase & MasterJuggler came along I didn't think there would be much of
a demand for Run'R so I didn't pursue it any further. Though I still use it
myself and have for the last 2 to 3 years. It is a lot handier to run a DA with
Run'R rather than open up the file with the Juggler or Suitcase. This is of
course true only for those DA's, Fkey's which you use very rarely or don't
want installed permanently.

There are a few things which don't want to run and it will only run the first
thing it sees in a multiple DA/Fkey file.

If enough people are interested I will clean up the Info Dialogs a little and
post it.

I also created an application with the same creator type as the Font-DA Mover
which would allow you to double click a DA file to run it. You need to have
Font-DA Mover in a different location so it isn't run instead. There is one
problem with it in which it won't run a second file when double clicked and
running under the MultiFinder. I never finished looking for a solution to the
problem.

It is rumoured that System 7 will do away with DA's. If the DA Handler were
made to work like my DA launcher then the DA's would really be treated like
applications and the rumor says you can have applications listed in the Apple
menu. My theory is that the Apple menu will turn in to a utility menu and
perform things like On Que does.

Anyway, Email me if your interested.

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu