[comp.sys.mac] Cable

ryan@bu-tyng.bu.edu (M) (08/06/88)

We are looking for a cable to direct connect a Macintosh SE to an RS232
Ethernet connection. We have the software and are currently dialing
into a Unix system but we need to know what kind of cable to make our
direct connection.  We have been told by many vendors, that this would
be a special cable and would have to be made for us.. Does anyone out
there know what kind of a cable we would need?

                               -Melissa

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (08/09/88)

In article <1664@bu-tyng.bu.edu> ryan@bu-tyng.UUCP (Melissa L. Ryan) writes:

>We are looking for a cable to direct connect a Macintosh SE to an RS232
>Ethernet connection. We have the software and are currently dialing
>into a Unix system but we need to know what kind of cable to make our
>direct connection.  We have been told by many vendors, that this would
>be a special cable and would have to be made for us.. Does anyone out
>there know what kind of a cable we would need?

The ones I make up for our use here are as follows:  DIN-8 connector on
the Mac side, DB-25 on the RS-232C side, with pinouts as follows:

	     DIN-8  to  DB-25     (Signal)
	     _____________________________
     PINS:      1         20         DCD  (Data Carrier Detect)
		2          8         DTR  (Data Terminal Ready)
		3          2         TXD  (Transmit Data)
		4          7         GND  (Signal Ground)
		5          3         RXD  (Receive Data)

		6, 7, 8   Not used.

Any questions, give me a buzz...

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) (11/20/89)

      Does anybody know where I might be able to get a 50 pin IDC to 50 pin
female centronics connector, I need this to hook up a hard drive in an
external case and interface it with the 25 pin scsi port on my computer.  I
have the 25 pin D to 50 pin male centronics cable, but I need the other cable
I would appreciate any answers.
                    Thanx
                     Todd

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu