[comp.sys.mac] Slick keymapping and Red Ryder 10.3?

nowlin@gramian.harvard.edu (Bill Nowlin) (11/18/89)

I have a Mac II with the little keyboard (numeric keypad, but
no function keys) which I sometimes use as a terminal with a
modem.  I would like to remap the numeric keypad to do useful
things for me while I'm running Red Ryder 10.3 to talk to a
Unix system.

Ideally I want the numeric keypad to send escape sequences
(like "OP") which emacs can interpret as commands.

I know that Red Ryder 10.3 has a keymap program that can map
nearly any *single* ASCII keycode to any key in the numeric
keypad, but I want to map strings of keys to a key in the
numeric keymap.  Emacs has just about used up all the single
keystrokes already, don't you know.

Questions:

1) Can Red Ryder do this and I just haven't figured it out?

2) Is there some other keymap program that I can layer on top
of Red Ryder to get this work out?

or (ecch!)

3) Is it simply that the "7" key on my numeric keypad and the
"7" key above the "y" key send the same keycode to the keyboard
poller, and thus cannot be distinguished by software at all?

Bill Nowlin -- Grad Student Ordinaire
nowlin@gramian.harvard.edu
Harvard Robotics Lab
Land of Dukakis and Deficits

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/21/89)

In article <3198@husc6.harvard.edu> nowlin@gramian.harvard.edu (Bill Nowlin) writes:
>I would like to remap the numeric keypad to do useful
>things for me while I'm running Red Ryder 10.3 to talk to a
>Unix system.

Buy QuicKeys.  It is commercial software from CE Software.
MacConnection lists it for $65.  It is worth it.

It will let you redefine and remap galore.  Yes, it will let you have
a multicharacter escape sequence for a single keystroke, yes it knows
the difference between the keypad and the rest of the keyboard (at
least on any ADB keyboard).  Though it will let you get many
characters of text for a given keystroke (say, an escape sequence), it
is not a good overall macro facility.  It is very cumbersome when you
want to string together a sequence of actions.

It will also let you decide whether a particular key mapping is to be
in effect only when a particular program is running (like your VT100
mappings) or should always work (like the undo/cut/copy/paste keys on
the big keyboard).

Unlike MacroMaker, it is very good about *not* breaking other
programs, *not* crashing itself, and *not* corrupting it's own data.

--
Kent Borg                               kent@lloyd.uucp or ...!husc6!lloyd!kent
                                              H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617)426-3577