[comp.sys.mac] Need info on multitasking capabilities on the mac

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (11/14/89)

Hi all.  Well thanks everybody for the responses concerning my
question about parameter blocks and trying to find out whether a file
is a folder or a file.  I just wrote some functions to access the
parameter blocks.

Now another question has come up.  We're intersted in writing a system
that is composed of many processes all talking to each other and
passing data back and forth.  Even under MultiFinder I haven't seen a
lot of this done so I conclude that it is an ineffecient and difficult
to program sort of thing to do.

Is multitasking difficult to do on the Mac?  Is it effecient?
Creating seperate processes would make the architecture of our system
nice and clean, but if it's going to load the machine needlessly then
we don't want it.

Can anyone provide pointers to technical notes or other references
concerning MultiFinde and MultiTasking (and XCMDS too I guess).

Thanks!

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (11/15/89)

In article <9775@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:
>Now another question has come up.  We're intersted in writing a system
>that is composed of many processes all talking to each other and
>passing data back and forth.  Even under MultiFinder I haven't seen a...
>
>Is multitasking difficult to do on the Mac?  Is it effecient?

Gawd! The true vs. fake multitasking wars are about to heat up again.

Anyway, if you can't wait for Apple's implementation of InterApplication
Communication (System 7), there was an IAC driver article in some MacTutors
within the last year and a half or so.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (11/18/89)

Hi...No flames, please.  The Amiga computer from commodore runs
680X0 with 6888X support with multitasking.  It is a VERY capable
machine with the OS in software and video/graphics in firmware.

I've heard that multitasking has been dropped from system 7 for the
Mac...Why?

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/21/89)

In article <36687@lanl.gov> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:
>I've heard that multitasking has been dropped from system 7 for the
>Mac...Why?

You are wrong, it hasn't been dropped.

System 7.0 never was to add ``preemtive multitasking''.  ``Cooperative
multitasking'' has been here for a long time.

I can print while downloading while talking to our Unix machine while
compiling while looking at a little round-windowed clock while...until
I run out of computrons and things get too slow.  Yes, things will
come to a stop if one of the programs decides to never yield any cpu
time.

Wait at least until *8.0* to fix that.

--
Kent Borg                               kent@lloyd.uucp or ...!husc6!lloyd!kent