[comp.sys.mac] Eureka! Word/PM Italics problem fixable

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (11/19/89)

Way back when, back when this group had a volume less than that of the
average waterfall, I posted something about a problem where PageMaker
would import Word files and shoot the text styles (italics especially)
all to hell.  Unfortunately, nobody was able to offer a rational
solution.

Now (smack myself in the forehead) I notice in the current issue of
Aldus Magazine (slap myself across the face) that Word's "Fast Save" can
screw up file importation (kick myself soundly in the butt).  This
should come as no surprise to anybody.

Solution: "Save as..." all documents before importing them, and turn off
the "Fast Save" option in the dialog.  Word documents import pristine
and Ivory-soap pure, and I can breathe easy again.

Just goes to show that even the obvious solution can be ignored by a
complete and total bonehead.

-mike

fleming@cup.portal.com (Stephen R Fleming) (11/21/89)

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

>Way back when, back when this group had a volume less than that of the
>average waterfall, I posted something about a problem where PageMaker
>would import Word files and shoot the text styles (italics especially)
>all to hell.  Unfortunately, nobody was able to offer a rational
>solution.
>
>[goes on to report turning Fast Save off solves the problem]

Sorry, not quite.  Turning off Fast Save solves a lot of problems, but not
all.  For example, if you type a word in mixed bold full caps and small
caps, PageMaker will not only ignore the small caps, but will turn off the
boldface as well.

It's things like this that drive me buggy about PageMaker.  I use it, but
it takes a lot more proofreading than it should.  (Once the Word original
has been proofread, I mean.)  I don't even want to talk about what it does
to hyphens!

|  Stephen Fleming         | My employer doesn't pay for this account. |
|  fleming@cup.portal.com  | In fact, my employer doesn't even know    |
|  CI$:   76354,3176       | I'm here!  Disclaimer enough for any      |
|  Voice: (703) 847-7058   | network-aware lawyer-types, I hope...     |