[comp.sys.mac] Summary: Think vs MPW for porting C from Unix

bwbecker@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Byron Weber Becker) (11/21/89)

Several days ago I wrote:
>I'm going to be porting a large C program from Unix to the
>Mac.  What's the compiler of choice?  Contenders are MPW and
>Think/Lightspeed.

I had about 8 responses.  The majority (7) recommended that I
go with Think/Lightspeed based on price, ease of use, speed,
and debugging environment.

Several people warned that Think uses 16 bit integers which
can cause problems when porting programs.  MPW uses 32 bit
integers.

MPW programs can be used as 'tools' within the MPW environment,
must like Unix.

One person said that MPW is the way to go if several people
will be working on the project.

>Another question:
>
>Is there any way to get around the 32K limit on data structures?
>I need to handle a BIG array with no natural way to break it up
>that doesn't cost me a lot of efficiency.

My error here was assuming that the 32K limit applies to dynamic
structures as well as static ones.  That ain't the case.  There
is no limit on the size of dynamic structure aside from how much
memory is actually available.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Byron Weber Becker
bwbecker@dragon.waterloo.edu