[comp.sys.mac] White Knight 11's Flash Protocol

folta@tove.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (11/14/89)

White Knight 11 includes Watson's Flash Protocol, for highly-efficient
comms using high-speed error-correcting modems.  My question is, does
anyone have a description of this protocol?  If it really is simple, I'd
like to write a version to put on the VAX I usually dialup (for when I get
a fancy modem someday.)

[Also, did I miss it in the WK 11 documentation, or is the "CMD:" box in
the lower-lefthand corner of the screen documented?]

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/15/89)

In article <20712@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Wayne Folta) writes:
>White Knight 11 includes Watson's Flash Protocol, for highly-efficient
>comms using high-speed error-correcting modems.  My question is, does
>anyone have a description of this protocol?  If it really is simple, I'd
>like to write a version to put on the VAX I usually dialup (for when I get
>a fancy modem someday.)
>[Also, did I miss it in the WK 11 documentation, or is the "CMD:" box in
>the lower-lefthand corner of the screen documented?]

Flash is currently proprietary to Freesoft. Perhaps eventually Scott will
release some specifications for its implementations on other systems if
there is a real demand for it. I suspect that for this to happen he would
need to be made aware of this desire to port Flash, calling Freesoft or
perhaps letters will do the job..

The Cmd Box in the lower corner displays the Command keys you hit, so that
you can visually verify the dual command key you are entering is the one
that you want. Or if you have part of a command key in the queue and need
to cancel it with a command-space. For example if you hit Cmd-RZ for
recieve zmodem, you would see RX appear in the (Cmd: RZ) box...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (11/21/89)

In article <1097@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> Norman Goodger writes:
>Flash is currently proprietary to Freesoft. Perhaps eventually Scott will
>release some specifications for its implementations on other systems if
>there is a real demand for it.

I've used an error-correcting modem in the past, and found that I got better
throughput if I just turned off the modem's error-correction (MNP) and used
ZModem.  Anyone else care to comment? Is there really a need for yet-another
modem protocol?
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com