[comp.sys.mac] Revsion control systems

meuer@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Mark V. Meuer) (11/16/89)

Does anyone know of a revision control system for the Macintosh?  I'm
looking for something along the line of SCCS or RCS that would allow
changes to a file to be recorded and restored.

Thanks.

--
Mark Meuer                         |       1200 Washington Ave. So.
Geometry Supercomputer Project	   |	   Minneapolis, MN  55415

han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) (11/17/89)

In article <17033@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> meuer@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Mark V.
Meuer) writes:
> Does anyone know of a revision control system for the Macintosh?  I'm
> looking for something along the line of SCCS or RCS that would allow
> changes to a file to be recorded and restored.

MPW has Projector which provides fairly powerful source code control
capabilities including branching, merging, and full history maintenance
(all deltas are stored in the database).

There are also some third party products (whose names escape me at this
point) which promise interoperability with VAX and PC source control
management systemsI

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat  "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
Apple Computer, Inc.              --------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP (Johnny Lee) (11/21/89)

In article <5233@internal.Apple.COM> han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) writes:
>In article <17033@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> meuer@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Mark V.
>Meuer) writes:
>> Does anyone know of a revision control system for the Macintosh?  I'm
>> looking for something along the line of SCCS or RCS that would allow
>> changes to a file to be recorded and restored.
>
>MPW has Projector which provides fairly powerful source code control
>capabilities including branching, merging, and full history maintenance
>(all deltas are stored in the database).
>
>There are also some third party products (whose names escape me at this
>point) which promise interoperability with VAX and PC source control
>management systemsI

The company's name is Polytron. The product is PVCS (Polytron Version
Control System). They usually advertise in PC-type mags and
programming mags, i.e. Dr.Dobbs, Computer Language, etc.

One thing about Projector that I've heard is that you can never
reclaim space from a Projector "document".

Of course you can always port RCS over.

One of the big pains about Think C is that they don't have
a version control system. (How did those guys at Aldus survive?)

Johnny Lee
t-jlee@microsoft.UUCP
...!{uw-beaver,sun,uunet}!microsoft!t-jlee