[comp.sys.mac] affordable macs

miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) (11/21/89)

I think the one thing people are forgetting is that whatever the affordable
mac is, it's going to have to run the heavy duty software that is currently
and will continue to be produced. E.g. mathmatica. Student's can't afford a
IIci, but that's about the level of box you need to run it.

Affordable mac? Sure. Gimme the hardware equivalent of a NeXT box, running
System 7.0 / 8.0 or whatever, with 16Meg or Ram, 600Meg of disk, 32MHz
68030, a 56001 with 16bit a-to-d and d-to-a, and charge me $1500. for it.
That's affordable!

<<Or put another way: why make a new affordable machine, why not make the
rest of the product line affordable, and then give us a new *real* high end;
competitive Price/Performace with, say, Sun SparcStations at university
prices).>>

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov20.210717.15146@cs.rochester.edu> miller@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller) writes:
>Affordable mac? Sure. Gimme the hardware equivalent of a NeXT box, running
>System 7.0 / 8.0 or whatever, with 16Meg or Ram, 600Meg of disk, 32MHz
>68030, a 56001 with 16bit a-to-d and d-to-a, and charge me $1500. for it.
>That's affordable!

Apple is never going to win on price/performance.  That's because Apple, like
IBM, doesn't even play the game.  They justify high hardware margins based
on their software R&D costs, and continued demand for systems.

It would seem to me that if they built more factories, and took less margin,
they'd wind up with MORE money in their pockets overall, due to increased
sales.  Obviously, Apple disagrees, so we all pay through the nose.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765