[comp.sys.mac] ATM and Vanilla MacPluses

lac@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Les Carr) (11/17/89)

hooray, ATM is available in the UK! (pity the Plus Pack isn't. sigh.)
now, i have been keeping very careful watch on the mac newsgroups
since the first announcement of ATM, carefully discerning what ATM
claims to do and with what performance penalties (and whose fault it
is when it doesn't do it), but no-one implied that i wouldn't be able
to run Illustrator88 on a vanilla MacPlus under the finder (no superfluous
INITs/CDEVs). When I run it with ATM switched on I get the "not enough
memory" message from Illustrator (v1.5). erk! Any ideas? Yes, I have RTFM.

On a related topic, should I be surprised that Illustrator doesn't
benefit from ATM, even in Preview mode?

Thanks in advance.
--
L.Carr@ecs.soton.ac.uk               Les Carr
Tel: +44 703 593649                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (11/18/89)

In article <1638@ecs.soton.ac.uk> lac@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Les Carr) writes:
>On a related topic, should I be surprised that Illustrator doesn't
>benefit from ATM, even in Preview mode?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Illustrator 88 1.9.3 should have been sent to all registered users.  1.9
makes Ill 88 compatible with ATM.  On a personal note, though, I wouldn't
advise upgrading.  What Adobe has done is slow down Illustrator to the
point where it's unusable.  Try typing some text.  Next click on
the enlargement tool.  Enlarge the text.  Illustrator asks ATM to generate
a new sized bitmap constantly.  The result?  You can't smoothly enlarge
anything with text.  ATM causes Illustrator to jump from one size to the
next.

What would my solution be?  I have a few:

1) Use QuickDraw to do the scaling when you're in the process of enlarging.
   Once you've released the mouse, have ATM kick in and give you a nice
   view.
2) Only have ATM active in preview mode (not as good as #1 in my opinion).
3) Bag ATM compatability.  (Less preferable than #1 or #2 but better
   than the current implementation in 1.9)

Any other comments/solutions?  I've sent mine to Adobe...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/19/89)

In article <1638@ecs.soton.ac.uk> lac@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Les Carr) writes:
>hooray, ATM is available in the UK! (pity the Plus Pack isn't. sigh.)
>now, i have been keeping very careful watch on the mac newsgroups
>since the first announcement of ATM, carefully discerning what ATM
>claims to do and with what performance penalties (and whose fault it
>is when it doesn't do it), but no-one implied that i wouldn't be able
>to run Illustrator88 on a vanilla MacPlus under the finder (no superfluous
>INITs/CDEVs). When I run it with ATM switched on I get the "not enough
>memory" message from Illustrator (v1.5). erk! Any ideas? Yes, I have RTFM.

I couldn't run Illustrator88 on my 1MB SE, which is why I now have
a 2.5MB SE. At the time, I had a medium-complexity diagram that had to
go out in a week, and it just wouldn't open. Smaller ones would, so I assume
you've been treading close to the line for a while and ATM pushed you
over the edge.

>On a related topic, should I be surprised that Illustrator doesn't
>benefit from ATM, even in Preview mode?

You need the latest version -- 1.9, I believe.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (11/21/89)

In article <1638@ecs.soton.ac.uk> lac@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Les Carr) writes:
>...but no-one implied that i wouldn't be able
>to run Illustrator88 on a vanilla MacPlus under the finder (no superfluous
>INITs/CDEVs).

The ATM documentation mentions that Illustrator will require greater than
1 megabyte of RAM to run. Since Illustrator needs over 700K to run in the
first place, and a stripped System needs another 170K or more, and then we
add the 192K minimum needed for ATM - we've run out.

>memory" message from Illustrator (v1.5). erk! Any ideas? Yes, I have RTFM.
                                   ^^^^
Version 1.8.3 was shipped to all users last spring, and version 1.9.3 was
sent to all registered users this past month. You may want to contact Adobe
UK or Amsterdam about the update.

>On a related topic, should I be surprised that Illustrator doesn't
>benefit from ATM, even in Preview mode?

You'll need 1.9.3.
--
Brian Bezanson                                          bezanson@adobe.com
Adobe Systems Incorporated           The opinions expressed above are my