[comp.sys.mac] MS Word 3.02 printing question

bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) (11/17/89)

OK, I'm like way confused...  I've written bunches of stuff on my Mac+
at home using MS Word 3.02.  I've formatted the pages to look nice, neato
text and fonts - all that stuff that the Mac is great for.

So, instead of using my Imagewriter to print the stuff I thought I'd
use a MacII at work, which is hooked up to a LaserwriterII NTX.
Low and behold, I start up Word and open my documents and find that
the page layout is totally hosed up!

So then I go to another Mac, this time a MacSE, on Appleshare (or what-
ever the network is called) with access to a Laserwriter.  Guess what,
the document layout is still hosed up, big time!

Has anyone else experience this?  What am I missing! Why is MS Word such
a pain in the ass to use between Macs?  Is there something in the system file
that I'm supposed to be aware of?

And speaking of MS Word...  As a register user of MS Word I have yet to
receive notification of how to upgrade to MS Word 4.0.  On the other hand,
I'm not sure I want to waste my money!

--Bill

sdh@wind.bellcore.com (Stephen D Hawley) (11/17/89)

In article <5276@ncar.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
>OK, I'm like way confused...  I've written bunches of stuff on my Mac+
>at home using MS Word 3.02.

>So, instead of using my Imagewriter to print the stuff I thought I'd
>use a MacII at work, which is hooked up to a LaserwriterII NTX.
>Low and behold, I start up Word and open my documents and find that
>the page layout is totally hosed up!

Your problem is that MS word is trying to format for an imagewriter on
a LaserWriter.  Oops.  What you see is not QUITE what you get.  To fix
it, choose the LaserWriter as the printer of choice, make sure that
Page Setup reflects this, then repaginate the sucker.  Low and beholdm
your onscreen version will be just as hosed as your paper version.
Take the time and trouble to go in and fix all the new formatting
problems, and remember not to exceed the .5 inch margin all around
the page that you can print in under page preview that gets cropped if
you print on the laser printer.  Thank you Microsoft for one of the most
counter-intuitive travesties of a Word processor for the Mac market that
you can get away with because you're huge.

Oops.  Excuse my flame.

Steve Hawley
sdh@flash.bellcore.com

"Up is where you hang your hat."
	--Jim Blandy, computer scientist

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/17/89)

In article <5276@ncar.ucar.edu>, bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
> OK, I'm like way confused...  I've written bunches of stuff on my Mac+
> at home using MS Word 3.02.  I've formatted the pages to look nice, neato
> text and fonts - all that stuff that the Mac is great for.
>
> So, instead of using my Imagewriter to print the stuff I thought I'd
> use a MacII at work, which is hooked up to a LaserwriterII NTX.
> Low and behold, I start up Word and open my documents and find that
> the page layout is totally hosed up!

The layout for the ImageWriter and the LaserWriter aren't going to be
identical.  You built the document assuming IW, and it was OK.  When you
tried to print to LW, you got chages due to different font (New York is
*not* the same as Times, for instance) spacings and so on.

Try repaginating, etc., your file on a system with the LW selected (Choosed?),
and see if things don't work better.

It won't be perfect, but it should be a lot better.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

spraggs@ve7apu.uucp (John Spraggs - VE7ADE) (11/17/89)

In article <5276@ncar.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
>OK, I'm like way confused...  I've written bunches of stuff on my Mac+
>at home using MS Word 3.02.  I've formatted the pages to look nice, neato
>text and fonts - all that stuff that the Mac is great for.
>
>So, instead of using my Imagewriter to print the stuff I thought I'd
>use a MacII at work, which is hooked up to a LaserwriterII NTX.
>Low and behold, I start up Word and open my documents and find that
>the page layout is totally hosed up!
>
> [stuff deleted]
>--Bill

You are now on the other end of the 'What You See Is What You Get' stick.

The LaserWriter does not produce exactly the same font spacing, etc. as the
ImageWriter.  When you have a printer driver selected with the Chooser, the
Application gets all this information, plus the default margins, tab
stops, etc. from the Page Setup dialog.  Any application or DA that prints
is in the same situation, not just poor, much maligned MS Word. :-)

Since what you get is going to be different, what you see should be as well.

For example, you can't mix a printer with proportional spacing and a monospaced
display without making lots of test prints to get it right.

You can verify all this for yourself by opening a file and then temporarily
selecting the Imagewriter Icon in the Chooser on one of the LaserWriter
machines or the LaserWriter on your machine.  (Be sure to put it back where
you found it, including the AppleTalk setting.)

Regards, John
van-bc!ve7apu!ve7ade!spraggs

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (11/19/89)

Re:  Imagewriter docs are scrozzled when I go to print on a laserwriter.

I was told the laserwriter has bigger characters, and the spacing just
isn't the same.  One partial workaround is to always compose your
document for a LASERWRITER.  Then, when you to print on an
imagewriter, your document might shrink in length (but this works fine
in most cases).  You might also experiment with the 4% reduction
option in the laserwriter dialogues.

Decide whether your documents are truly laserwriter docs or
imagewriter docs.  Then you can imagine that one is just a "draft"
printer, and forget about making the documents look the same.  You
wouldn't want them to look the same on both printers anyway.  The
imagewriter's resolution is so low, the character spacing would be
very uneven if you tried to produce a laserwriter page on an
imagewriter.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (11/19/89)

In article <1989Nov17.091635.18189@ve7apu.uucp> spraggs@ve7apu.uucp (John
Spraggs - VE7ADE) writes:
> The LaserWriter does not produce exactly the same font spacing, etc. as
> the ImageWriter.  When you have a printer driver selected with the
> Chooser, the Application gets all this information, plus the default
> margins, tab stops, etc. from the Page Setup dialog.  Any application
> or DA that prints is in the same situation, not just poor, much
> maligned MS Word. :-)

Actually the main thing that differs from one printer type to another is
the exact size of the imageable rectangle on the page.  Default margins
are usually determined by the application, since the imageable rectangle
goes pretty close to the edge of the paper on most printer types.  Tab
stops are not involved at all.  Font spacing is only an issue for
applications that emit their own Postscript code when printing on a
Postscript printer (I'm not sure whether Word does this).

It's true that any application that prints must somehow deal with a
changing imageable area when the printer type changes, and those that emit
Postscript may have to reformat lines if their Postscript code changes
font spacing.  However, it is NOT true that applications have no choice
but to shaft the user when the printer type changes.

At the very least, the application ought to put up a dialog to warn the
user that the printer type has changed.  Having done that, it is not in
fact forced to reformat anything unless the user actually tells it to
print.

MS Word is certainly not alone in failing to give the user any
help or any options when the printer changes.  :^(

David Casseres

Exclaimer:  Hey!

SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu (Sonja Kueppers) (11/19/89)

[Someone asked why his word 3.02 stuff didn't come out right on the
 laser printer]
In article <126900106@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu says:

>I was told the laserwriter has bigger characters, and the spacing just
>isn't the same.  One partial workaround is to always compose your
>document for a LASERWRITER.  Then, when you to print on an
>imagewriter, your document might shrink in length (but this works fine
>in most cases).  You might also experiment with the 4% reduction
>option in the laserwriter dialogues.

One point often overlooked is that the LaserWriter is NOT going to print
your spaces the same way as the Imagewriter will.  Therefore, it is
absolutely ESSENTIAL to convert all spaces used for formatting purposes
to tabs.  This is easily done in Word 3.02 simply by selecting the entire
document (move the cursor to the left side of the document, with the
arrow pointing to the right, hold down the COMMAND key, and push the
mouse button), and then go up to the ruler and insert tabs for the
document as appropriate.  Then turn on Show [paragraph mark], which
I think is in the Edit menu (sorry, it's my default, so I forget exactly
where it is), and highlight each series of little dots (which represent
spaces), replacing them with an appropriate number of tab characters.

Hmm...I wonder how many resumes I will have to do this to this week...
(groan)
(Last week I even had one in MacWrite 5...what a pain.  No SHOW INVISIBLES...)
-Sonja
-------
-----------------------------Sonja Kueppers-------------------------------
|SEK@PSUVM (bitnet)                 | "Argue for your limitations and    |
|SEK@PSUVM.psu.edu                  |  sure enough, they're yours."      |
|SEK%PSUVM@psuvax1.uucp             |                  -Richard Bach     |

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil Hoopman) (11/21/89)

In <18233@bellcore.bellcore.com> sdh@wind.UUCP (Stephen D Hawley) writes:
>In article <5276@ncar.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
>>So, instead of using my Imagewriter to print the stuff I thought I'd
>>use a MacII at work, which is hooked up to a LaserwriterII NTX.
>>Low and behold, I start up Word and open my documents and find that
>>the page layout is totally hosed up!
>
>Your problem is that MS word is trying to format for an imagewriter on
>a LaserWriter.  Oops.  What you see is not QUITE what you get.

Actually, Word _is_ showing you what you get.  There are many differences
between the character spacing on the Imagewriter and the Laserwriter.
I think that limiting the Laserwriter to the precision of an Imagewriter
would be much less disirable than a change in word wrap.

>Thank you Microsoft for one of the most
>counter-intuitive travesties of a Word processor for the Mac market that
>you can get away with because you're huge.
>
>Oops.  Excuse my flame.

I'm not saying that Word is flawless, but perhaps in this case you
should put your phaser on "stun" :-).  Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly
on this problem.  All the Macintosh word processors that I've seen
react to changing printers in one way or another; most of them very
similar to the way Word handles it.

When you change between printers in the Chooser, you get the message "Be sure
to choose Page Setup and confirm the settings so that the Application
can format the document correctly for the Imagewriter/Laserwriter."  This
message is the System telling you to expect this change.

(Actually, in Word you don't have to go to Page Setup; it makes the
adjustments automatically after you change printers.)

------------ Neil Hoopman - Microsoft -- uunet!microsoft!neilh -------------
    "Carpe Diem.  Seize the day.  Make your lives extraordinary."  - DPS
------------- Microsoft owns the keyboard.  I own the fingers. -------------