[comp.sys.mac] Monitor problems

nau@mimsy.umd.edu (Dana S. Nau) (11/20/89)

I have a Mac IIx, with a Mitsubishi Diamondscan 166 model HL6605 color
monitor and a CMA M2-00800 Sigman Design Colormax video card.  The
monitor has a higher pixels-per-inch ratio than an ordinary Mac
monitor, so everything the Mac writes to the screen comes out much too
small to read comfortably.  Can anyone suggest a way to reconfigure
things to eliminate this problem, or will I have to order a whole new
monitor?

Thanks!
--
	Dana S. Nau
	Computer Science Dept.		Internet:  nau@mimsy.umd.edu

carlo@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (11/20/89)

In article <20833@mimsy.umd.edu> nau@mimsy.umd.edu.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:
>monitor, so everything the Mac writes to the screen comes out much too
>small to read comfortably....
>	Dana S. Nau

On a related note: is it possible to do something similar to a regular Mac
screen? What I would like is to trade number of characters on the screen
for their size. Like typing everything in 14pt fonts, but still having it
print at 10pt or whatever the 'standard' size is. Something equivalent to
typing you whole document within, say, Word, at 14pt, but not having to
rescale the whole thing down to 10pt when you want to print it. I guess I
want a magnifying lens for my screen....

Could one change the 'default' system font (the one in which file/folder
names are written), for example?

Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (11/21/89)

In article <4163@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>In article <20833@mimsy.umd.edu> nau@mimsy.umd.edu.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:

<stuff deleted>

>Could one change the 'default' system font (the one in which file/folder
>names are written), for example?
>
>Carlo.

Yes!  Try a program called Layout.  It does wonders with file/folder
positioning, as well as letting you change the font and style for the
file/folder names.  Lots of other interesting/mundane things.

It came over to our site on comp.mac.binaries about 6 months ago, so
I'm sure its around on the normal ftp sites.  I gleaned these from
the application itself:

-Layout 1.0 written by Michael C. O'Connor
-1986 Leptonic Systems Design Company
-Compuserve 74206,1406         BIX 'lepton'
-GEnie M.OCONNOR        Delphi LEPTONICSYS

-This software is provided free of charge.  Unmodified copies may
-be passed on to others by any commercial or noncommercial
-means of distribution.  Please give away copies to your friends.

Nice chap!  Great application!  Give it a try.

-Russ