[comp.sys.mac] MacWeek

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <1094@runx.ips.oz>, clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:
> I thought MacWEEK was a monthly journal on diskette? For 300 bucks a year,
> it must offer more...
>
> What does MacWEEK offer for $300/year exactly?
> Is it worth the money?
>
> Jason Haines, President
> Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia

MacWEEK was a journal on diskette, a not very serious weekly Macintosh "Talk
Show" which became MacTALK when MacWEEK came out.

MacWEEK is trying to PC WEEK for the Macintosh.  It bills itself as "The
Workstation Newsweekly", although it says very little about anything other
than the Macintosh.  It's style reminds me highly of USA Today.

The first issues of MacWEEK were abominable.  As of late, they seem to have
settled down and started trying to give a bit more substance to their articles.
It's still a very thin magazine, though (last week's issue was 28 pages) and
it generally gives you some interesting views of things being done with the
Macintosh (past articles have shown software for the Macintosh in the Laboratory,
at NASA, at various engineering firms, etc.).

Another contender to look at, which I've just skimmed, is "Macintosh Today."
I signed up for the free subscription at MacWorld (I just love getting mail)
and looked through it.  They claim to offer more "hard-hitting reviews" than
MacWEEK.  It will come out bi-weekly until January, then it will come out on
a weekly basis.  I don't know what their monthly rate is.

I wouldn't pay $300/year for MacWEEK, if I was just a personal computer user.
But if I were responsible for the purchasing of Macintosh software/hardware
and general support, I'd probably have the person I was working for get it for
me.
--
"No victim,                              Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 No crime."

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (09/05/87)

In article <6976@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>In article <1094@runx.ips.oz>, clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:
>> I thought MacWEEK was a monthly journal on diskette? For 300 bucks a year,
>> it must offer more...
>>
>> What does MacWEEK offer for $300/year exactly?
>> Is it worth the money?
>>
>> Jason Haines, President
>> Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
>
>MacWEEK was a journal on diskette, a not very serious weekly Macintosh "Talk
>Show" which became MacTALK when MacWEEK came out.

Oh, how do I get MacTalk then?
                 ^^^^^^^

Thanks in advance,
Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Telecom:   (02) 73-4444
Snail:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (09/08/87)

In article <1100@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.OZ (Macintosh Users Group - Sydney, Australia) writes:
>Oh, how do I get MacTalk then?
>                 ^^^^^^^
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jason Haines, President
>
>Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia

Their address is:

MacTalk
1601 Weatherstone Drive
Blue Springs, Missouri 64015
(816)229-5632 9am - 5pm Central time

Most people get the weekly MacTalks from Compuserve or Genie or some other
BBoard service.  They usually don't float around my way until 2 or 3 weeks
after they're out.  Perhaps someone who sees them fairly soon after they come
out could post them to the net.

Tony Jacobs ------- Center for Engineering Design -------  University of Utah

jay@idsssd.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) (02/23/88)

Can anyone out there help by providing me with subscription information for
MacWeek?  An address or (preferably) telephone number would be greatly
appreciated.

				  Thanks,
				  Jay O'Conor
				  idsssd!jay

icm@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ioannis C. Mangos) (02/27/88)

	I would like subscription info too...

	Thank you

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (04/06/89)

    Could someone send me some info on how to get a subscription
to MacWeek?  Do you have to work for a particular company?
Thanks!

P.S. What does IMHO stand for?  What is foo in foo.bat?
               John
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (04/07/89)

> P.S. What does IMHO stand for?  What is foo in foo.bat?
>                John

Net abbreviations:

IMHO	- In my humble opinion
BTW	- By the way

Foo comes from FUBAR, which in turn stands for, er, _fouled_ up beyond all
recognition. (This is a family net, right? :-)). Foo has long been a favorite
for variables, file names, etc. Related to FUBAR, by the way, is SNAFU,
which is Situation Normal, All Fouled (wink wink) Up. These come from
various branches of the military, but I don't remember which.

Bob Hablutzel	Wildwood Software	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/08/89)

In article <10330162@accuvax.nwu.edu>, bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) writes...

>Net abbreviations:
>
>IMHO	- In my humble opinion
>BTW	- By the way

And then of course there's the abbreviation for that perennial bit of net
advice: RTFM, for "read the friggin'* manual".

*Other interesting words which start with f may be substitued here at user's
discretion.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

sklein@cdp.UUCP (04/11/89)

To get MacWeek, send subscription inquireies to:
Customer Service Department
MacWEEK
P.O. Box 5821
Cherry Hill, NJ  08034
(609) 428-5000

If you tell them you make purchasing decisions, that your company has
fifty Macs, and that you are responsible for deciding how to spend your
$100,000 annual computer budget, they will probably give you a free sub.

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (04/23/89)

Can somebody post the address of MacWeek. I would also like subscription
rates. Thanks in advance.

c08_dta7@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (TA7) (04/24/89)

In article <10155@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
>Can somebody post the address of MacWeek. I would also like subscription
>rates. Thanks in advance.

Me too please, or post it.

Thanks

Mamdou Maher

maryw@hpcupt1.HP.COM ([Mary Williams]) (04/24/89)

          Editorial & Advertising Offices:
             525 Brannan St.
             San Francisco, CA  94107
             (415) 882-7370
          Boston Editorial Offices:
             4 Cambridge Center, Third Floor
             Cambridge, MA  02142
             (617) 497-2600

          Subscription Inquiries:
             Customer Service Department
             MacWEEK
             P.O. Box 5821
             Cherry Hill, NJ  08034
             (609) 428-5000

           Single copy price (include postage):  $5
           One year subscription rate:  US - $75
                                        Canada/Mexico - US $150
                                        International - US $300 (airmail)
           All orders must be prepaid.

kaz@nanovx.UUCP (Mike Kazmierczak) (04/25/89)

In article <10155@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
>Can somebody post the address of MacWeek. I would also like subscription
>rates. Thanks in advance.

  The one year subscription rate is $75 to US, $150 to Canada/Mexico, $300 else
where.  Subscription inquiries to Customer Subscription Dept., MacWeek,
POBox 5821, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034  (609) 428-5000.  Note: MacWeek just moved
their offices and are a tad behind...

Canonical disclaimer applies  --  Kaz@nanovx.UUCP

Mike Kazmierczak, Ph.D. (and proud of it)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (04/25/89)

In article <1543@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> c08_dta7@jhunix.UUCP (TA7) writes:
<In article <10155@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
<>Can somebody post the address of MacWeek. I would also like subscription
<>rates. Thanks in advance.
<
<
<Me too please, or post it.

Address:  MacWEEK (new address, though mail-in requests for new
		  subscriptions still have a New Jersey address)

		  301 Howard Street
		  San Francisco, CA 94105

		  (415) 243-3500

Last I saw an ad to subscribe, the rates were $75 per year (but remember,
that's a weekly). Current issue is 135 pages, though that is larger than
I've seen before. It also gives quite a few details on the new Finder,
including screen shots. Makes you want to do a fast forward to next year.

Shirley Kehr

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (04/27/89)

In article <604@nanovx.UUCP> kaz@nanovx.UUCP (Mike Kazmierczak) writes:
>In article <10155@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
>>Can somebody post the address of MacWeek. I would also like subscription
>>rates. Thanks in advance.
>
>  The one year subscription rate is $75 to US, $150 to Canada/Mexico, $300 else

Huh?  MacWeek is FREE.  I've never heard of anyone paying for it.
It is paid for completely by advertising.  Ask them for a qualifying
form to get your free subscription.  Don't be a sap and pay them for it!

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (04/29/89)

In article <2691@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>Huh?  MacWeek is FREE.  I've never heard of anyone paying for it.
>It is paid for completely by advertising.  Ask them for a qualifying
>form to get your free subscription.  Don't be a sap and pay them for it!

What happens if you don't "qualify"?

I sent in a form late last year and another about 3 weeks ago,
and have never even gotten a "you don't qualify" message?  What's
even stupider is that the people around here that do get it
always forget to bring it in where the rest of us can see it.

If I really want it and don't qualify, I don't seem to have a whole
lot of choice, do I?

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (04/30/89)

In article <903@marvin.Solbourne.COM>, dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) writes:

> I sent in a form late last year and another about 3 weeks ago,
> and have never even gotten a "you don't qualify" message?  What's
> even stupider is that the people around here that do get it
> always forget to bring it in where the rest of us can see it.

Be patient.  It took me over four weeks before I received anything back
from MacWeek.  They sent me a message that my application was received
and I was put on a waiting list.  Who knows how long this waiting list is...

I could have to send in several change of address forms before I even
get an issue...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

sklein@cdp.UUCP (04/30/89)

1) Get the application form.
2) When the form ask how many computers you have, say at least 100.
3) Where the form asks how much you spend on computers and related
   equipment, say at least $50,000 year
4) Where it asks what your job is, don't say president.  Put something
   like MIS manager, or Director of Purchasing.

The point is that MacWeek is a "controlled circulation" publication.  That
means that they charge extra-high advertising rates, because they deliver
good demographics.  In other words, advertisers are willing to pay more
if the folks reading the ads have lots of money to spend, and the authority
to spend it.

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (05/02/89)

You might consider being "generous" in your estimate of how many Mac
IIcx's and LaserWriters you plan to buy this year (on the application).
--

                                               - Scott

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (05/03/89)

	Those MacWeek folks (at least in circulation) are weird!
	Myself and another regular reader here stopped getting the rag
	shortly after submitting the form in an issue to keep getting it,
	while another "ex" employee, who has not been around through
	two of the same periods, continues to get it. Like I said, weird!
	But then, I guess the ex is more qualified to get it than we real people.
	heh heh heh

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (05/03/89)

In article <903@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>I sent in a form late last year and another about 3 weeks ago,
>and have never even gotten a "you don't qualify" message?  What's
>even stupider is that the people around here that do get it
>always forget to bring it in where the rest of us can see it.
>
>If I really want it and don't qualify, I don't seem to have a whole
>lot of choice, do I?

A while back they sent me a notice saying that my free subscription
was going to expire soon, but that they would continue it for only
$75 a year.  I just let it lapse, since it's not even close to being
worth that much money.

About a month after my last issue, guess what?  I got a notice that
said I qualified for a free subscription...

So you might just want to wait a few weeks and see what happens.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

Radius-Engn-QA@cup.portal.com (John - Lee) (05/04/89)

Oh, boy!  This is a topic that burns a LOT of people.
When MacWeek first came out, it seemed as though they wanted
everybody in the industry to receive a copy.  Somewhere along the
way, however, that idea has changed.

In our company, several people's subscriptions stopped arriving.  For example,
mine.  I filled out a new subscription form.  No response.  Two months later
I mail in another form.  No response.  I gave up.

A full half year later (this past March), an issue arrives for me.  Imagine
that!  And I didn't even have to resort to "three time's a charm."

The saddest part is, that this happens to too many people I know.  Perhaps
MacWeek could send out acknowledgments on postcards, to keep people calm.

Then again, maybe they could just become efficient.

***John Lee
*** Radius, Inc
*** Engineering QA Mgr
*** "Of course, the opinions are mine.  Nobody else is that rude."

prodigy@quiche (Chris ALPAUGH) (11/14/89)

I've only been on the net for a couple of months, so I hope this
question isn't a repeat.

I keep hearing references to a journal called MacWeek.  Here in Montreal
I've never seen this publication or any references to it.  Could somebody
tell me about the availability of this magazine/paper?  Is it available
only to anybody who wants to suscribe or is it a limited business journal?
I'd be interestd in finding out how I could go about suscribing, if possible.

Thanks in advance, Chris Alpaugh, McGill University, Montreal, Canada

           address: prodigy@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca

dansnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Daniel A. Church) (11/16/89)

This is really stupid...but........

I got some info tonight on MacWeek such as a phone number and address for
subscribing.  What I forgot to do was save my mail (I always do, but for
some reason failed to this time!) and the message was lost!  Would someone
be so kind as to send me the subscription info for MacWeek once more?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Church
dansnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu

starta@cup.portal.com (John Adam Starta) (11/21/89)

You may contact MacWeek at the following address:

                            MacWEEK
                            Customer Service Department
                            P.O. Box 5821
                            Cherry Hill, NJ 08034
                            609/428-5000

Subscriptions are free to qualified subscribers, otherwise it is $75 ($300
air mail).

This is for reference purposes only. I am in not way affiliated with MacWEEK.
I am, however, a satisfied subscriber.