[comp.sys.mac] Hardware handshaking on M

colin.sampaleanu@canremote.uucp (COLIN SAMPALEANU) (11/20/89)

This is actually Adrian Sampaleanu. Just using my brother's account to
be able to post on this net, where a wider audience might be able to
help me.

Could anyone out there give me a definite answer to the questions: Can
the MAC support hardware handshaking through the CTS/RTS lines? Does
the serial port even provide for these signals? If it can't be done,
what is the hardware handshaking option in Zterm to be used for? I would
like to use hdwe handshaking with an ATI etc/e for MNP 5 flow control.
If this is possible, could you post the pin connections for a serial
cable. The only ones I've seen haven't let me do this type of
handshaking. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some answers.

                    Adrian
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/22/89)

In article <89112004371671@masnet.uucp> colin.sampaleanu@canremote.uucp (COLIN SAMPALEANU) writes:

>Could anyone out there give me a definite answer to the questions: Can
>the MAC support hardware handshaking through the CTS/RTS lines? Does
>the serial port even provide for these signals? If it can't be done,
>what is the hardware handshaking option in Zterm to be used for? I would
>like to use hdwe handshaking with an ATI etc/e for MNP 5 flow control.
>If this is possible, could you post the pin connections for a serial
>cable. The only ones I've seen haven't let me do this type of
>handshaking. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some answers.

	The Macintosh is most certainly able to support hardware handshaking
(also known as RTS/CTS handshaking), however doing so will mean the loss of
Carrier Detection (DCD).  Due to the way that Apple setup the serial ports and
the the serial driver the Macintosh is not able to properly do both HH and DCD.
	The following are the pinouts that we recommend for a HH cable in the
MicroPhone II manual for a DIN 8 to DB-25. (NOTE: You CAN NOT do HH with the
oldstyle DB-9's).

	DIN 8			DB-25
	1	(HSKo)		4, 20	(RTS, DTR)
	2	(HSKi)		5	(CTS)
	3	(TxD-)		2	(TxD)
	4       (GND)		7	(GND)
	5	(RxD-)		3	(RxD)

also wire 4(GND) on the DIN 8 to 8(RxD+)on the DIN 8

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025