[comp.sys.mac] System Error 25 Opening Illustrator

JAH4@PSUVM.BITNET (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) (11/10/89)

In article <113@qtlon.quantime.co.uk>, skyer@quantime.co.uk (Susannah Skyer)
says:

>Hi there. I'm having a strange problem and I thought a more
>advanced user somewhere out there in Netland might be able
>to help.
>
>Each time I open Adobe Illustrator 88, it opens the "personalized
>to/Adobe about" box and puts up the menus, but I can't actually
>open any files--it locks up, and gives me the system error,
>forcing me to reboot.
>
>According to Inside Mac II, this error is "can't allocate
>requested memory block in the heap."
>
>Unfortunately, this doesn't clue me in at all.
>
>I've opened Illustrator before without any problems.
>I haven't done anything unusual that I can think of
>between when Illustrator last worked and now.
>
>I'm running it on a Mac IIcx off of a Jasmine 100 hard drive,
>with System 6.0.2.

I have had this problem only with color/greyscale systems and when
Illustrator is run on an SE, it never occurs.  The solution I have
found is to increase the size of the RAM cache in the control panel.
Increasing this to about 192 has worked for me.

                                         Jeffrey A. Hamman
                                         Microcomputer Systems Consultant
                                         Penn State University

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (11/22/89)

In article <89314.102926JAH4@PSUVM.BITNET> JAH4@PSUVM.BITNET (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) writes:
>In article <113@qtlon.quantime.co.uk>, skyer@quantime.co.uk (Susannah Skyer)
>says:
>>Each time I open Adobe Illustrator 88, it opens the "personalized
>>to/Adobe about" box and puts up the menus, but I can't actually
>>open any files--it locks up, and gives me the system error,
>>forcing me to reboot.

   These symptoms sound familiar to an problem with an older version
of Adobe Illustrator 88 and the Jasmine disk drives. Please call
our Applications Support phone to resolve this problem which most
likely means getting the latest version of Adobe Illustrator 88
(at no charge). The number is (415)-961-0911. The usual hours are
(I believe) 8am - 5pm Pacific Time.

I hope this helps,
David Gelphman